+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: polarized Sunglass question

Default polarized Sunglass question

For my Keys trip in early may I am wondering what tint of shades work the best for both mid day and lower light and overcast conditions?
    -Jeff

My understanding is in 'general' for deep water you want the smoke (darker) colored lenses. Shallow water, like flats, you want more of an amber tint.

TT.

Interesting, I'll be there at the same time.
    On my previous trips, I found amber much more effective in the turquoise waters.
    Dark is almost imperative as the sun and the reflection off the white bottom and the white boat deck will not only burn your skin but will get to your eyes. Get wrap around style glasses for two reasons: it makes the boat ride more comfortable, and it keeps light from sneaking in the side of your glasses.
    I stay pretty tan year round and still need to be careful of the sun.
    Buy a BUFF -- everyone uses one, for good reason. it is the best $23 you'll spend on this trip.
    Get a long sleeve light weight quick dry shirt and shorts. You may occasionally wade off the boat on the flats and long pants suck for this.
    I wear a visor but I have hair and have a buff to protect my neck. Many wear wide brimmed hats.
    I wear deck shoes or Keens and shorts. Keens work fine for wading.
    Think pastel for your wardrobe. Nothing stands out like "tourist" more than a flower print shirt and checked shorts (except maybe knee socks and black shoes). There is something to be said for camouflage and light blue, white and turquoise shirts match the sky and water. I have been known, however, to fish in pink or canteloupe. It is the Keys, after all.

Excellent recommendations from Coach! Our 1st trip to the Bahamas was with smoke gray/blue Polorides, couldn't see a thing. Guide took us to a small fly shop and insisted we buy amber glasses. Got clip-ons since we both wore prescription glasses. Eventually got the amber in the prescription glasses as well.
    Most of all have FUN! The planning and anticipation sometimes are the best part of the trip.
    Hugs,
    LadyFisher

Another vote for amber on shallow flats. Brown and Copper also work well. I prefer photochromatic models that change the the amount of light passed through as light conditions change on partly cloudy days. I usually carry at least two pairs of sunglasses so I have a spare. I use grey for bluewater stuff.

Wear your clothing and test any sunscreens before the trip. I got a Buff a couple of years ago after so many people recommended one. A few hours after wearing it the first day my face started to itch. By evening it had broke out in a nasty rash. I had washed it before using it. Apparently I am allergic to something in the material or dye. I still use it but only for a three or four hours mid-day.

Blog Entries

While I have limited tropical saltwater experience salmon fishing has a lot of the same requirements and a lot of more difficult light conditions. I carry at least three pairs of glasses all the time and it makes a huge difference. On silt bottom I might carry six pairs!

Often the cheapest works best on a given situation...

I and a lot of other guides and avid anglers who fish SWFL a lot have found the HaberVision Copper Rose tint to be the ultimate in performance eyewear choice for that environment. If you look at the Columbia, Belagio, and a few others on this page, you will find that they all have the highest quality lenses, are available in Copper Rose tint, are polarized, and have a broad range light-sensitive changing lense. They're also extremely scratch-resistant and the frames are nearly indestructible. My wife wore the Magnum Variants throughout her combat tour in Iraq last year.

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
    I and a lot of other guides and avid anglers who fish SWFL a lot have found the HaberVision Copper Rose tint to be the ultimate in performance eyewear choice for that environment. If you look at the Columbia, Belagio, and a few others on this page, you will find that they all have the highest quality lenses, are available in Copper Rose tint, are polarized, and have a broad range light-sensitive changing lense. They're also extremely scratch-resistant and the frames are nearly indestructible. My wife wore the Magnum Variants throughout her combat tour in Iraq last year.
    I bought Copper/Rose Habers before a Keys trip last year. I couldn't see everything the guide did, but by the end of the day I was certainly able to locate permit tails. I was amazed at how well I was able to see once I got calibrated.

Back on my home trout waters, the Habers continue to perform. I can much more easily see fish feeding now where previously I could not. I like them quite a bit.

I fish saltwater flats in Florida almost exclusively. I use amber colored as do most of my friends. One trick alluded to in the previous post is to focus on the bottom rather than on the surface. The tendency is to focus on the surface. If you do that you will miss a lot of shadows on the bottom.
    Last edited by dunfly; 03-27-2011 at 11:13 PM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by 92Esquire View Post
    I bought Copper/Rose Habers before a Keys trip last year. I couldn't see everything the guide did, but by the end of the day I was certainly able to locate permit tails. I was amazed at how well I was able to see once I got calibrated.

Back on my home trout waters, the Habers continue to perform. I can much more easily see fish feeding now where previously I could not. I like them quite a bit.
    I have been using the Haber Copper/Rose lenses for four years now I think. I wear the "Nice" frames. My Action Optics, Hobie, and Oakley glasses have become backups to my backups because I purchased additional pairs of Habervision glasses to have as backups. I also like the copper/rose for driving. I do find them to be not dark enough in alpine situations under bright skies when there is a lot of exposed rock to reflect sunlight and still prefer grey on the open ocean but I use the copper/rose for everything else.

+ Reply to Thread