+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cased Caddis Concept Fly

Hybrid View

Lightbulb Cased Caddis Concept Fly

When Scott ( SKershaw ) was here a few weeks ago and we turned over some rocks on Rock Creek, I took note of the cased caddis. I've seen a number of patterns for those caddis, but never focused on them. Got to wondering how I would do it. I decided to do a rubber legs version - using barred rubber legs, black on white and black on brown, along with some magic stretch and some black d-rib to get the look I wanted. A dark brown marking pen was used for some additional coloration on the magic stretch and the white rubber legs material after various combinations of rubber legs, d-rib and / or magic stretch were wrapped on the hook. The standard peacock herl collar completed the fly. The flies looked pretty good in the fly box, without glasses. They lost some color and shape while catching fish, so this one isn't quite what came off the vice.

The operative words are "while catching fish." Like this little brown trout from the West Fork of the Bitterroot yesterday.

And this whitefish, one of four or five.

Like virtually every other fly, this one has probably been tied by others somewhere at some point in time. But in seven years of looking at fly recipes, I have not seen rubber legs material used for a cased caddis body. I think the approach has endless possibilities - hope you find a use for it and catch bunches of fishies with the flies you tie.

John

P.S. Can you spell "soft bodied zebra midge" ?? I think Sandy's chewable stonefly nymphs might have been crawling around in the back of my skull when I had the idea for the rubber leg material nymph pattern.
    The fish are always right.

Blog Entries

Very nice photos!! Thanks for posting! What was the temp yesterday?

Lightbulb Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    ...What was the temp yesterday?
    Mid day temps were around 50F, maybe a bit warmer when the sun was out.

John

P.S. I haven't really thought it through yet, but I'm thinking the darker rubber legs material might make an interesting substitute for the wire on Copper Johns and Copper Bobs. Not sure the rubber will stand up to a lot of toothy abuse by the fishies, but I wouldn't really consider that a problem. Also, in the mini size, the rubber legs could be stretched some when wrapped to get really slim bodies on very small midge or trico patterns. It is conceivable that you could do a "threadless" midge just using the rubber legs material. I actually tied an experimental T.N.T. midge larva with .005 clear stretch magic colored with marking pen and fished it a couple weeks ago. Still needs some work. T.N.T. stands for The No Thread midge. Not sure if it will be explosive or a bust.

John,

Nice looking fly and nice looking fish. I love the pic of the whistler.

Glad to hear the thaw is on down south......we are still locked in.

Question Thaw ?? Locked in ??

Quote Originally Posted by jdConrad,MT View Post
    ...Glad to hear the thaw is on down south......we are still locked in.
    This pic was taken January 26, 2011.

John

P.S. Well, we did have some pretty hard water on and off the past couple months, but open water and decent temps have come around often enough to get out regularly and have some fun.

I like it!! I've used "Life Flex" and "Flex Floss" legging material for some bodies on some purple hazes and cripple patterns which makes the fly a bit more durable and adds segmentation with relative ease. You just have to control the tension while tying and you can make a tapered body easily. Oops just gave away some of my favorite patterns, just kiddin, don't use those.
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    P.S. I haven't really thought it through yet, but I'm thinking the darker rubber legs material might make an interesting substitute for the wire on Copper Johns and Copper Bobs. Not sure the rubber will stand up to a lot of toothy abuse by the fishies, but I wouldn't really consider that a problem. ...
    Hi John,

I was fishing in north central Idaho a few years back and needed to tie up some small yellow stones (The hot fly from the previous day) and used yellow rubber leg for the body of a copper john like fly in camp. It held up well for the day's fishing. I don't seem to recall it falling apart from catching fish but as I read your post I thought a base of super glue before wrapping the body might improve durability.

Moscow
    Last edited by Moscow; 03-27-2011 at 04:55 PM.

I like that caddis.
    For what little it's worth, I have used rubberlegs for body material too, like the following Sandy's Mite:

But it never occurred to me to use it like an over-ribbing, like you did.
    Those little caddis larvae do appear in trout stomachs. A lot.
    I think they're an under-utilized resource.

+ Reply to Thread