Matt - That sounds like a great time to be had with your dad. Being myself relatively new to flyfishing here is one thing that may help you as it did me.Borrow or buy a fly rig- rod and reel with line and leaders and tie on a piece of bightly colored yarn for practice. Get out in your yard and learn to cast. Just the basics and enough to get and keep some line- maybe 20-30 feet- in the air and to softly lay it down out in front of you. I did this and then after a couple of weeks went to the nearest water. Found out QUICKLY that I should have been sitting down in my yard and not standing as the plane of the water level was 3-4 feet higher than the plane of the yard I was standing on. If you get my drift. When I got on the water the line was going SPLASH! in front and SPLASH! in back of me and the frustration went straight up . Not too bad though. I went back home SAT down in the front yard and relearned from my goof. Next time out I was casting, albeit short distances, BUT more importantly, I was FISHING and catching! Instead of flailing and fuming. LOL! Just my experience. Though it sounds you will be having an instructor. Good luck to you and Dad!

Steve

------------------
I fish, therefore I swam.