+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harrisonburg VA area?

Default Harrisonburg VA area?

I will be fishing in the Harrisonburg VA area mid-May, and I'm in the process of building a box for the area waters. I've researched hatches and gone over many of the streams and patterns. But does anybody out there have any personal/regional favorites to offer?

Thanks in advance!!

Ralph

Ralph,

Are you going to be fishing up in SNP, Mossy Creek? The Mr. Rapidan http://hipwader.com/2004/tying-mrrapidan-dry-fly , was developed by Harry Murray (stop by his shop in Edinburg on the way down I-81) for the freestoners in the Park, specifically for the Quill Gordon hatch - that'll be over by May but it should still work for Grey Fox/March Brown hatches. I'd make sure to have some CDC & Elk; those are magic in the park; lots of other attractors you could try as well, Humpies, foam-back Convertibles (my favorite), etc. Mossy is another matter; I've had good luck using terrestrials, mostly late summer/fall. It has had decent sulphur hatches in the past but I haven't fished there much in a few years so I'm not sure how good it is now. Scuds and cressbugs are always worth trying, yo-yoing a conehead bugger along the banks can work at times, too although you have to be very careful to keep the vibrations from your footsteps to a minimum. Also, the electric fence along the stream is active and will deliver a nasty shock if you're not careful. If you haven't got your permit to fish there, you can pick them up at the VDGIF office in Verona, about 10 miles south of Bridgewater.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott, I'll be fishing with Mossy Creek Outfitters, so I would assume on of the 7-8 waters they have offered. Then on Monday we are planning to walk in to the park and chase brookies.

Thanks much! I appreciate the response. I figured I would need an assortment of attractors as well. I've been eyeing up the Mr. Rapidan pattern. Can't leave home with out a good batch of EHC's. Looks like we should hit some slates and sulfurs? Hopeful anyway.

Ralph

Ralph,

If you're working with Mossy Creek Outfiters, you should be in good hands. I've stopped there a few times in Harrisonburg on the way to pick my son up just across the highway at JMU; nice folks. You'll recognize the bugs; you probably get most of them in NJ, just a month later in the season. Have a blast; btw, Clementine Cafe and Dave's Taverna are two restaurants we really like, if you're looking for something besides the typical chains.

Regards,
    Scott

You are in for a grand time. My wife gave me a wade trip with the Trow boys last April (I actually went with one of their guides), caught the largest rainbow of my life (so far), easily 24". That day the guide supplied the flies, and we used streamers and egg patterns. Not much happening on top.
    When I fish Mossy Creek, I have the best luck on partrige and green soft hackle, with peacock thorax. Mossy is tough, but I go a few times a year.
    I second Scott on a visit to Harry's place, he is usually in the shop except Wednesdays. http://www.murraysflyshop.com/
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

If you're dealing with that shop, there isn't much we can add except Mossy is some kind of tough. If you fish Suzy Q, when you get to the "falls" look across the pool below them and beyond the bar in the middle. Some nice fish hang on the far side of the bar.

You all are awesome!...thanks for the info! We will be fishing with MCO on Sat-Sun and hitting public water Friday afternoon and Monday morning. Can't wait. I've heard Mossy Creek can be tough. I'm hoping that at least some fo the water will have some dry action as well. But I'm open for anything

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread