+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Google Earth

Default Google Earth

Something very cool to do while you are at work the day before a holiday at 2:42 in the afternoon is to Google Earth your favorite fishing spot. For streams, it shows you how the stream continues or starts beyond where you might typically fish.

Regards,
    paff

Paff, ...

If you use Google earth, ... you can download the "Places" file for my home waters: [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/Places/steMargQcRevB.kmz:58d84]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/Places/steMargQcRevB.kmz[/url:58d84]

Right Click and save to your disk if you like.

Let it load and hit "Play"

Don't forget to turn "Terrain" On
    Note: This'll give you a "cinematic" fly threw of the river where we are doing the '06 Quebec FishIn

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://flyanglersonline.com/travel/quebec06fishin/:58d84]2006 FishIn Ste-Marguerite River[/url:58d84]
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:58d84]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:58d84]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 13 April 2006).]
    Christopher Chin

I've spied on my favorite holes using terraserver before. I'll have to give google earth a try!
    swamp

I love google earth but it doesnt work on my computer, so i just go to live.local.com. In some areas, you can click bird's eye view to get really close

It's really cool for most places, but the pics of some streams I want to explore are way too blurry to use for them. Perhaps the Googlefolk are flyfishers trying to keep secret spots from me?

Chuck

I have found that Google aEarth can have really clear resolutions in some spots and very blurry in others. I get a great view of my apratment complex but when I look at some of my favorite lakes in the Beartooths, its not as clear. Great views of the Bridger Mtns just outside of Bozeman though .

Just wish I hadnt shown my boss this. He spent 2 hours in his office playing with it one day. I was pretty ticked off about it. Since I have a lot of clout at work, I told two other guys to go home since my boss was goofing off while they were working hard busting their butts. I let him know what I thougt about it later ROFL. At least we are good friends so I didnt have to start looking for a new job.

As a disclaimer....you need a fairly decent machine for it to really work well. WOrks good on my computer but is absolutely horrible on my parents computer.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Blog Entries

Note to Googlers:

Google earth really needs high speed internet to work well. The more people live in a place, the better the aerial photography, it seems. My town, about 10 meter resolution. San Fran, you can count people on the sidewalks and read the STOP painted on the street.

You can drape aerial photos over the terrain, if you have them. I have done this for presentations and to provide 3-d images of projects. And there are tools you can download which will project GIS files into GE.

+ Reply to Thread