Thread: Please help me become a legend in my own mind.

Threaded View

Default Please help me become a legend in my own mind.

The title is facetious. I have resisted for quite a while commenting on the Fly Tying section re. the change from a discussion of how to tie a fly or find a material to the dominant theme (IMHO) of 'Look at my wonderful fly'. Maybe I am whining, but I can't bite my tongue any longer.

Another site (now almost defunct) suffered the same fate just before the end. Personally, I am the Past President of a fishing club and have tied about 5,00 flies, so I know a few things about fly tying (not bragging, just saying). My list of 'must-have' flies contains 70 patterns. Like everyone else who ties I have 'invented' a few, and most of the patterns I tie have some modification from the original. However (and I guess this is the issue) they are MY attempts, and maybe I share them with my club friends for discussion, but I am not motivated to post them on the BB to say, "Look at ME".

Different strokes for different folks I know, and I don't have to open threads that I don't want to etc., but I just need to say that the free access to public (internet) recognition fatigues me when I see normal patterns being lauded because of web exposure, and some tier's self-importance.

PS. I didn't post this 'old codger' complaint on the Fly Tying board because I didn't want to upset anyone or confuse that board by looking like sour grapes.

Your views?
    Last edited by Greg H; 03-24-2011 at 03:10 AM. Reason: punctuation