+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help in Michigan

Hybrid View

Default Help in Michigan

I am going to Northern Ontario this spring between April 10 and the 21st. I will be going thru Michigan and up I -75. I could have some extra time (2days?) so I was wondering what fishing opportunities there were in the UP north of St. Ignace? Looking more for small stream fishing mostly - no lakes. Or if anyone has some time on their hands and wants to show a poor lost Canuck around to some of their secret spots I am certainly open to that.

Thanks

Michigan's general trout season is still closed during your time window. The Fox river is now open all year for catch and release fishing and there are some other type 4 streams that are open all year but they are mostly not what I would call small stream fishing. I would probably look at stopping in the Grayling area and fishing the Au Sable in that time period.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Are these 'steelhead' rivers we are talking about?? I would certainly consider them if you think they are worth the license fee for two days. I will be fishing the Canadian side of the Sault rapids and that ain't small stream. I just thought if there were any brookie or brown trout waters open in the smaller streams on the Michigan side I would give them a shot. For the most part I will fishing the rivers on the North Shore of Superior for steelies. All of the rivers up there are open year round. I think I might be a little early for the runs but this is the time frame that I have. Thanks for the feed back RBC.

There would likely be steelhead in those rivers but I don't know about run timing up there. You might ask at the Steelhead site.com which is all about great lakes steelheading. I would expect some action by then based on the idea that they are about three weeks to a month behind us here in West Michigan but the fish might be in the deeper lower part of the rivers. Fishing river mouths might work.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

+ Reply to Thread