+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filered water bottles

That is very cool. I could see using that on backpacking trips but just for something to carry in my vest the bottle seems more conveniant and much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by gutbomb View Post
    How long does the steripen take to work and what volume of water can it treat at once? Can you stick it in a two-liter bladder?
    90 seconds to sterilize a quart and 60 seconds for a pint. It has green and red indicator lights to tell you when it is working and if the sterilization is successful. You need to see the tube and the indicator lights so I don't think a 2 liter bladder would work. There is no option to sterilize 2 liters with is twice the maximum of a quart at a time.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

I do not have a filter system yet, but have thought about it for the on-stream situation as you describe. When looking at them I did learn something important from the sale staff. Regarding the filter system, one needs to decide how often the filter will be used and over what time period.

Apparently there are ones that are good for several uses over a week, but really never dry out after - so they need to be discarded, and therefore are not as practical for only one day on the stream every two weeks - they're better for a camping trip. Others have filters that are replaced every use - or after only a quart (litre) of water, so are more practical (economical) for single day use.
    Just something to keep in mind and ask about when making the purchase decision.

Some filters can be stored in a freezer between uses but you still have to keep track of how many uses they have left. It's easier to just take the batteries out of my Steripen between uses.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

+ Reply to Thread