+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best flourocarbon?

Hybrid View

Default Best flourocarbon?

I've used this stuff in the past but wasn't pleased with it. The flourocarbon I had was SA i believe. It was too stiff and kinked too easily. It wasn't supple at all, too much memory.
    Please advise if there is a supple flourocarbon brand that I can purchase.
    I am looking for tippit only, not leaders.
    Thank you
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

Seaguar is my fav, costs more. I got some Rio last time since the diameter compared well to Seaguar, but I think the Seaguar is superior. The cheapest place I have found it is J stockard
    http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...103105fotw.php
    It is about 25% higher in cost than Rio.
    "Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it"
    Ed Zern

I've been happy with Rio and with the the Hook & Hackle house brand (except that I hate the H & H spools).

I agree that Seaguar is great tippet, but I have stopped using it because I get so frustrated with the terrible spool that they use: the tippet retracts back inside the spool so that you can't get the end without opening the spool. t's just not worth the hassle.

I use the Orvis MaxKnot in 2x for steelhead. It think it is more flexible that the regular Mirage. Seaguar is pretty good too. That is the extent of my fluoro use.

Money, money, money. If you're buying fluorocarbon TIPPET you must have plenty.
    VANISH 4lb test has a .005 diameter (equivalent to 6x) and is about $11 for 250 yards.
    Compare 30 yds of fluoro tippet for $15.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    VANISH 4lb test has a .005 diameter (equivalent to 6x) and is about $11 for 250 yards.
    According to Berkley; Vanish 4lb test has a diameter of .007, equivalent to 4X, not 6X. Even the Vanish 2lb test has a larger stated diameter than 6X while having a lower stated test rating than all fluorocarbon tippet material brands in a diameter of .005 (6X). As a matter of fact NO fluorocarbon fishing line matches any fluorocarbon tippet material in diameter AND test.

If an apples to apples comparison doesn't matter then by all means use fishing line and save $$$ but it's NOT the same.

I use Seaguar BTW.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 03-22-2011 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    I have used Vanish in 4-8 lb and the fish don't seem to mind it being slightly thicker than Rio while costing 1/32 the price of Rio. My streamer and carp "leaders" are 14lb Vanish.

It depends on your use. Rio fluro flex plus in 5x is supple and and has a break strenght of 5 lb. Its makes nice tippet for trout.

For bass I use seguar red label 2 x fishing line for making twisted leaders . They are cheap to make and turn over weighted flies just fine. These fluro bass leaders seem to sink a little quicker than mono.

If you are talking saltwater heavy bite tippet I don't have any experience

Blog Entries

I second okflyfisher. Rio Fluoroflex Plus tippet material. That is all I use now and most of my guides also use it. It is really good material to use.

Larry ---sagefisher---

http://www.rioproducts.com/product.php?recKey=58

+ Reply to Thread