+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best flourocarbon?

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    Money, money, money. If you're buying fluorocarbon TIPPET you must have plenty.
    VANISH 4lb test has a .005 diameter (equivalent to 6x) and is about $11 for 250 yards.
    Compare 30 yds of fluoro tippet for $15.
    I have used Vanish in 4-8 lb and the fish don't seem to mind it being slightly thicker than Rio while costing 1/32 the price of Rio. My streamer and carp "leaders" are 14lb Vanish.

Hey Pernelli, only one spelling error, I'm doing pretty good!
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

Thanks eveyone for your imput, this is much to go on. I have some options to concider and will be trying fluorocarbon again this summer.
    A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

alright, those of you using heavier weight flouro, in clear stream, how does it affect your drift when the fish are inspecting your flies. i have my opinion, i just want to know yours.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

I use Seaguar fluoro for saltwater and shad fishing; no complaints whatsoever.

Regards,
    Scott

Flybugpa.....I've found that I can go up "1" size in tippet than normally with zero negative affect. With both nymphs and dries.

Flybugpa,

I'm more worried about the size of the line effecting the presentation than I am about the fish 'seeing' the line.

I only fish in two rivers where folks tend to consider the fish leader conscious. The San Juan in New Mexico, and the Animas in Colorado. I've had no issues with using fluro fishing line as tippet materials in either of these locations. I'll use 4 pound Vanish on the San Juan when fishing little midges as I don't like how the 'thicker' lines effect the drift of flies in the 20-24 sizes. But I do go up to 6 or 8 pound with larger offerings like streamers and larger nymphs. No issues with the fish 'seeing' the line that I can tell. I've fished with guys who swore you needed 7X fluoro to catch these fish, but I catch as many fish as they do....

On the Animas, I'll use 6 pound almost exclusively, but I seldom fish anything smaller than a 16 there. Still no problem catching fish. For a few weeks each year I'll throw big streamers there (some big rainbows and browns in that river), and I use 12 pound fluoro for that. Still no issues with tippet diameter spooking the fish, but in this kind of fishing you wouldn't expect it to...

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default flouro

i am only concerned aout getting a drag free drift, the fish i am fishing over will nose up and inspect for up to 10 feet before eating or rejecting. its exciting watching the whole thing play out. i am using 10 -12 foot leaders But to play everything has to be as perfect as possible, that why i was curiois about the tippet and how it reacted. IS ANYONE USING THE 2 POUND OR WHATEVER THE SMALLER DIAMETER IS, the diameter is what i am really curios about as most of my work is in the size 18 or smaller catagory ? is the cabelas house brand comparable to Vanish?
    Last edited by flybugpa; 03-31-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

I'm using the 7x Maxknot down to #26's. No problems at all. It's 2.4lbs.

Blog Entries

I use Rio Fluoro Plus out on the streams when adding tippet to leaders etc. When I tie up my own leaders I use the Seagar in large spools for the butt sections and finish with Vanish for the tippit sections, also in large spools. These are for all fluoro leaders. For dry fly leaders I use Maxima mono for the butt sections and finish with fluoro tippet and just grease the tippet up to within 6" or so of the fly.

+ Reply to Thread