+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting Practice II

Default Casting Practice II

Was going to post this on the other thread but rather than hijack seems like it could stand alone.

Obviously the more you do something...read that practice.... the better you should get ....but there is good practice and bad practice...witness my golf swing...

Anyway... when you practice casting what do you work on?....

rhythm
    double haul
    tight loops
    feel
    etc. etc.

How many things at once?

Anyone want to list three things that are the most important to work on????

I just try to get as much casted out straight as possible.

One time I was looking the other direction and i felt a tug on my line(this is alone, in my backyard) and I look over and a stray cat is wrestling with my fly (which had no hook luckily)

And lukily I love in a triple decker, and the house next to me is a triple decker, so I can go in the driveway in between and ther is no wind

Hey Ducksterman,

Being new to this I am following this closely. I don't want to show my ignorance especially since I am old enough to know what ignorance is, but what do they mean by double haul?

Steve
    Steve

rookie...let me say this....when I retired one of my goals was to become a better double hauler...[read that "a double hauler"]...now someone define it better than I can....

But no fair high jacking the thread....ok go ahead and I'll repost...rookie needs help...

Watching a good double hauler is a thing of beauty.

I'll edit this in...It's a way of increasing line speed.

[This message has been edited by ducksterman (edited 12 April 2006).]

Most of the fish I catch are 30' or closer consequently I never practice beyond that point...I mean there is no need.

For you maybe Buzz but check this out...

[url=http://reel-time.com/feature/sedotti/:dec25]http://reel-time.com/feature/sedotti/[/url:dec25]

Wasn't trying to steal the thread, but wanted to put it to my list of things to practice since I didn't know what it was.

As a Rookie 1. Make a clean cast.
    2. Don't try to overpower
    3. don't drop the arm.

Plus everything else posted.

Sorry
    Steve
    Steve

Hey guys, I always try to go for rythm and feel, if you can master those 2 the rest will follow.
    Rookie, a double haul is kind of dificult to describe but basicaly it means you use your line hand (left hand if casting right handed)to make a haul down and away from your rod hand on both the back cast and the front cast, once you get the hang of it you will find it increases your line speed and helps you to shoot line on the delivery stroke. As always it is all in the timing.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike.

Rookie,

No sorry necessary....I was not directing the Highjacking to you...it was to others that might get into the double hauling thing and forget about my question....

In fact, if someone doesn't know about double hauling I'd gladly give up a thread....come on folks get rookie on the road to ecstasy....

+ Reply to Thread