Slough Foot: I eat a lot of them. In fact I make a special trip to catch all I can and stock my freezer. The first thing to remember about the whitefish is that is a relative of the trout and has the same bone structure. The whitefish has a whitish flesh which is a bit oilIer than the trout and they also have large scales which cause some to thing they are a trash fish.

When I catch the whitefish I try to scale the fish as soon as possible. Then I clean (dress) it as you would a trout. Then when I get it home either fry the fish or can them.

To fry them I flour them & then fry as you would a trout. I usually don't eat the skin. To can them I skin them, romove head, tail and the fins and then cut them into chucks and follow one of the many recipes you can find for fish. If you can them you can leave the bones in the meat as they become soft in the canning process. Canned whitefish can be used just like canned tuna fish. One of my favorites it whitefish salad. Just use the canned whitefish in lieu of the canned tuna.

Hope this helps

Tim