This whole thread had me curious. I've never had any problem with the things, but I seldom if ever use a hand tool when a power tool is available. Feel some need to protect my hands and not overtax those muscles over something as trivial as studs in a boot...but based on this thread, apparently my experience isn't typical...

I called a friend that used to run a fly shop and asked him about installing studs in various boots...

He told me it was simple. But the first time anyone tries it, it's a night mare. That whole learning curve thing, which the makers do little to alleviate. As long as you treat them like any other screw, and apply accordingly, it's not hard. If you treat them like 'Carbide Studs for Wading Boots' and think they have to be installed with that ridiculous wrench or other apparatus that the makers sell you with the boots/studs, you are in for some struggles.

He kept a cordless drill/driver in the shop for this purpose, and could install a set in just a few minutes. He mentioned that on 'rubber or 'hard type (not felt)' soles, a pilot hole and some soap for lubrication were helpful.

In any event, it's mostly about knowing how.

Good Luck!

Buddy