+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New Hera Rod

Chris,
    I got the line today and will be trying it out asap.

Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
    I forgot to say I ordered an 18 foot rod.
    I also have the 18-footer. Have not had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm anxious to do so.

I think you'll like it. The extra reach is a big help when fishing ponds & lake and the extra power of the Hera rod will let you fish for larger fish than you can tackle with a tenkara rod. I'm planning on putting some fly line running line on mine and try it for casting bass poppers.

Okay, now your fearless leader (me) is looking for your input. My doctor this past week highly suggested I have a total shoulder replacement, seems there is a hot doctor in Seattle doing them. (remember that's where I came from?) Anyway, Trav thinks my casting days, at least right handed are over. Yes, I can cast left handed but that shoulder isn't great either and frankly it isn't as much fun....
    so Trav is suggesting I try Tenkura. My fishing here mostly is the Spring Creek or YNP...although we do have a weekend booked down on the Big Horn.
    What are you suggestions/recommendations?
    Much appreciated!
    Hugs,
    LF

LadyFisher,

Have sent you a PM.
    Tenkara Bum

Ladyfisher,
    How much stress can your left shoulder take? Although casting left handed with a tenkara rod should be easier than with a conventional fly rod I don't notice that much less stress with the rods I have. One of my tenkara rods is a 12 footer & the other is a 15 footer. I guess the best advice I can offer is order a rod from tenkaraUSA or allfishingbuy and try it out for a few days & if it doesn't work out return it. Both companies have very good return policies.

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I also have the 18-footer. Have not had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm anxious to do so.
    OK, I finally got a chance to try it out. It was not really tenkara since I wasn't using a fly, but it was interesting.

I am amazed at the strength of the hera rods. I was fishing a small pond for bluegills and catfish. I hoped to get a few small cats to really test the rod. I ended up with three up to about five pounds. I was using 8# line, and the rod held up great.

The next day, I fished a local river for carp. I only hooked one, and he broke me off at the hook. I have no idea how big the fish was, but 8# line was probably a bit light for carp.

Anyway, the hera rod is impressive.

+ Reply to Thread