+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My New Hera Rod

Hybrid View

Default My New Hera Rod

After I got my tenkara rod from TenkaraUSA I started thinking that I would like something longer and more powerful. The tenkara rod is great, very compact when collapsed, light and easy to handle but has a rather limited range & I kept on wondering what would happen if I hooked a really large fish like a 10 lb carp with it. http://www.allfishingbuy.com/ has a line of hera rods and pictures of carp over 20 lbs. that people have caught using these rods. These rods come in lengths much longer than the tenkara rods, collapse down to reasonable lengths and are light enough to use all day without getting tired. So I ordered one and this week it showed up in the mail. I took it out yesterday evening and fished a small bead head copper john beneath a small strike indicator. It handled that setup very well. It has a much softer tip than most fishing poles and is nice and slim like a tenkara rod. Is this fly fishing? No, but it is fishing with flies. I think I'm going to have lots of fun with this rod in the coming months.

I forgot to say I ordered an 18 foot rod.
    Last edited by cycler68; 03-18-2011 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Additional information

Default Further Observations

I took my hera rod out tonight to further test it's potential as a fly fishing tool. I wanted to see if it could cast a fly without any weight other than the line, and as the hour was getting late, I chose a yellow bluegill popper as the test fly just so I could see something, perhaps the ripples in the water where I crash landed the fly. Casting the fly with just a level line setup was work. I tried modifying my stroke, making it faster or slower, shorter or longer to get as much distance as I could, resulted in a few casts that I would call decent. I couldn't see that well but the casts seemed to land far enough out to be useful. A long stroke with increasing speed and and abrupt stop at the end like a standard fly fishing stroke seemed to be about the best but not as easy as it would be with a real fly rod. It seems to me in order to fish lightweight flies with this rod I'll need to add a length of fly line to the setup to give me the weight I need.
    In short I think this rod has the potential to be a good rod for fishing flies, especially flies a little too heavy for a tenkara rod, and will let me tackle large fish.
    As a bonus I caught a bluegill. I tried to take a picture with the cell phone but no flash made for a really lousy pic.

Default Tonights Outing

I fished with the hera rod tonight as it was so windy I was afraid if I fished with the shorter tenkara rod the fly would be blown too close to shore. With the 18 ft. long hera rod I was able to keep my micro jig/strike indicator rig out in the strike zone. I was rewarded with a nice rainbow, two crappies and a bluegill in about an hour or so of fishing. I think I was lucky to catch that much as the conditions were so miserable; cold, windy and spitting snow.

I went fishing again last night and, as it was getting late, decided to use the tenkara rod instead of the hera rod. With the hera rod the strike indicator would have been out of sight but with the shorter tenkara rod I could just barely see it. I ended up catching three trout on exactly the same setup I had been using with the hera rod. The hera rod and tenkara rod handled the rig just about the same. The moves and casts that work with one work with the other with little modification other than allowing for the differences in length.

Question Loaded Question

Now that you have a number of outings under your belt with both rods, I am curious about your impression on one thing I keep wondering about.

Do you think that the line ( plus whatever terminal gear you have on ) is actually loading the rod the way a fly line loads a regular fly rod, or do you think the rod loads itself through the casting motion and just takes the line, and fly, along for the ride ??

Do you notice any difference in this aspect of casting ( rod loading ) between the Tenkara rod and the Hera rod ??

John

P.S. With my 6:4 12" Iwana, it seems to me that the line is actually loading the rod, regardless of what kind of fly I am using. With the 5:5 13' Ayu, it seems that the rod loads itself through the casting motion and carries the line and fly along, requiring something of a big lob for a heavy stonefly nymph.
    The fish are always right.

Well John, you gave me a tough question to answer accurately. I'd have to say the Yamame is getting loaded from the line much more than the Hera as it is a much lighter and less powerful rod than the Hera. Just how much the Hera relies on the line to cast the fly is open to question. I'm using the same level tenkara line on both and the Hera rod could probably use a heavier fly line to improve it's casting. The Yamame is a much higher quality rod than the Hera but both are useful fly fishing tools. The fish don't care one way or the other, as long as I show them a good fly they bite!

Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
    I forgot to say I ordered an 18 foot rod.
    I also have the 18-footer. Have not had a chance to try it out yet, but I'm anxious to do so.

I think you'll like it. The extra reach is a big help when fishing ponds & lake and the extra power of the Hera rod will let you fish for larger fish than you can tackle with a tenkara rod. I'm planning on putting some fly line running line on mine and try it for casting bass poppers.

Okay, now your fearless leader (me) is looking for your input. My doctor this past week highly suggested I have a total shoulder replacement, seems there is a hot doctor in Seattle doing them. (remember that's where I came from?) Anyway, Trav thinks my casting days, at least right handed are over. Yes, I can cast left handed but that shoulder isn't great either and frankly it isn't as much fun....
    so Trav is suggesting I try Tenkura. My fishing here mostly is the Spring Creek or YNP...although we do have a weekend booked down on the Big Horn.
    What are you suggestions/recommendations?
    Much appreciated!
    Hugs,
    LF

LadyFisher,

Have sent you a PM.
    Tenkara Bum

+ Reply to Thread