+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Was Your First Tenkara Fish?

Hybrid View

Default What Was Your First Tenkara Fish?

First Tenkara Fish.jpgIt was a great day, a little windy but, I caught my first fish on my Tenkara rod. It is a five or six inch black crappie from Lake Delaware, Ft. Harrison State Park, Indianapolis, IN. What was your first Tenkara fish?

I guess my first was a Bow. But I have caught many since then. Bows, browns, a few goldens several sub of cutts. Went out today and caught about eight. Last week was a great day 30 all on a dry.

Smile A little rainbow ...

... on Brushy Fork Creek in Northern Idaho last July.

Lots of days fishing with a Tenkara rod since, on quite a variety of water in Idaho and Montana, catching bunches of trouts ranging up to 17".

John
    The fish are always right.

My first fixed-length-line fish was a trout (quickly followed by alot of his brothers and sisters) on the Muskegon River in lower Michigan. It was caught on a South Bend Black Beauty using a furled line. I was hooked. For some reason, when I stop think to notice, I almost always have a smile on my face when fishing with a Tenkara set up. It is just plain fun.
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

A wild brown trout on my first Tenkara outing last year on about my third cast with a soft hackle version of a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear! Coincidentially I was fishing with a furled line, compliments of John Scott at the time.

Since that time I have caught many trout, some sunfish, a few bass and a crappie or two. I also haven't fished with conventional fly tackle since last November.

With a little luck I will be taking the Tenkara out for a spin on a wild trout stream in about an hour!

Mine was a bluegill, last May. I tied up a hares ear and figured I would do it tenkara-style with reverse hackle. The bluegill at a local lake liked it, so I tried it on trout. They liked it too, and since then I haven't fished with a regular fly rod, and have only fished reverse hackle flies. So far I've caught some bluegill, lots of rainbows, several browns, and a couple of largemouth bass. Same rod, same fly.

+ Reply to Thread