+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going fly fishing today

nighthawk Guest

Default Going fly fishing today

The back feels pretty good (pain level has dropped from full meltdown to excruciating) and I am hitting the water for a bit this afternoon.

With any luck I might actually catch something. Will try to get pictures but will just be happy to be out there on the water.

Have fun, go slow, be safe and take me with you.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Give 'em he?? Eric. Be safe.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

NewTyer 1 Guest

If feel you on the back pain. I live on Oxy. I haven't hit full meltdown yet but, I am excrutiating 24/7. Good luck and catch some fish.

Eric,

Are you hitting a pond or tailwater, because I figured all the creeks would still be blown out down there? Good luck and catch a few for me - still haven't gotten my license! I hope you got that "indoor swimming pool" out of your basement! Or did you have the Fish Commish stock it?

Best regards, Dave.

nighthawk Guest

Hi all,
    I got back a little while ago. Got skunked but had a lot of fun doing it. I hit Holman Lake at Little Buffalo State Park. I an exhausted but totally relaxed. sure is something how just a few hours on the water does a soul so much good.

I talked to some spin fishers there. One of them landed a nice gill but that was all I saw caught. They were catching crappies there earlier with some little chartreuse jigs so it is time for the longer rod with some Al's Crappie Candy.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by how quickly I got back into a good casting stroke after such a long time off. I think the bad back may actually be helping me there. It forces me to slow down, concentrate on my stroke and use less energy. Maybe it's because I just finally got to relax.

I stayed until my legs went numb from my back. As I was putting my gear back into the car I heard both Osprey and Bald Eagle calling but they were on the nests up along the ridge line. I did take a few shots I hope you all enjoy maybe you can help me identify the insect cases in the one of the rock I pulled from a small stream. There were what looked like tricos and little black stone flies hatching. Click on the pictures to see full size:

Bug casings on a rock:
    P3150003.jpg

P3150003-1.jpg

P3150002.jpg

P3150004.jpg

nighthawk Guest

A few more:

P3150005-1.jpg

My favorite Martin! L.o.L. Best 40 bucks I ever spent.
    P3150006-1.jpg

Eric,
    Unless I miss my guess (and I'm sure I'm not) those are caddis cases. I've seen literally thousands of them on the Selway, Lochsa and St. Joe in northern Idaho. Always a good sign for EHC flies in whatever size and color. Dang it, I should have been there. You could have taught me how to fish them.
    Glad you had a good time.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

nighthawk Guest

Thanks Joe. Wish you could have been there too. I didn't see any caddis flies when I was there but that doesn't mean they weren't there. What I thouht were tricos I now think were black gnats. I need to tie up some EHC and some gnats. I also saw small back stone flies. I know this lake has very prolific stone fly hatches.

Thumbs up

Eric,
    Glad you got out. This time of year, catching is certainly secondary to just getting out.
    Hang in there & I'll talk to you soon.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread