+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WE ARE NOT COMPUTERS! - Neil - March 14, 2011

Blog Entries

Default WE ARE NOT COMPUTERS! - Neil - March 14, 2011

WE ARE NOT COMPUTERS!

Recently you may have watched the TV quiz show ?Jeopardy? where two human contestants pitted their skills against a computer aptly called ?Watson.? The computer made the humans look like kindergarten students competing against a college graduate with a PHD in a contest concerning questions dealing with quantum physics.

Default Thank goodness, we are not computers!

Computer's are electronic devises, that need to be updated on a daily-weekly-monthly schedule. Otherwise the data becomes fragmented, and if a portion of a program goes missing, the whole program will not function. They need to be defragmented to keep their information processing from becoming slowed down. Many times programs need to be deleted when the files become corrupted, then reinstalled, or patches downloaded to correct the problem.

Computers only collect data information, and without directions from human commands, cannot process the data information the computer collected. Computer's are only as good as the data inputed. "GIGO", Garbage In Garbage Out! "To Err is to be human, to really foul things up you need a computer!"

NASA's Space Shuttle's are coming to the end of their trips into space, carrying personnel and equipment and supplies to the astronauts on the International Space Station. Each Space Shuttle's have five computers that must agree on any action that happens while the Space Shuttle is in flight. If one computer does not agree with the other four computers on the action that needs to be taken, that computer is cut out of the loop, and the remaining four computers handle all duties on the Space Shuttle! What if that one computer that was cut out of the loop, by the other four computers on the Space Shuttle, was the only computer of the five that was correct?

Some think that very soon there will be the first "Computerized Passenger Airplane Flight, with no Flight Personnel on-board for monitoring the in-flight operations of the aircraft?

Here is how it will probably go...
    • Passengers board the airplane, and find their seats
    • Seat Belts, automatically, secure passengers in their seats
    • Airplane door close and lock
    • Airplane engines start up, and airplane backs away from the terminal
    • Airplane taxis down the taxi-way toward the run-way
    • Recorded message comes on, over the airplanes announcement speakers
    "You are on the first fully automated airplane flight, all decisions during the flight will be handle by computers, without any humans overseeing any of the multitude of complicated flight operations. You do not need to worry, you are very safe with the flight computer having been programed to handle every possible situation that might occur! Everything has been check, rechecked, and checked again! Nothing can go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....go wrong....

~Parnelli...Parnelli...Parnelli....Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 03-14-2011 at 09:48 AM.

I forget who said it...perhaps it was John Gierach...but not too long ago I quoted him on my Facebook page about this. He said that at some point everything we know about trout fishing is proven wrong. It's so true. In fact, it's true of all fishing. But it seems to me to be more true with trout than any other species I've ever fished for. Do it enough and you'll be taught an exception to every rule by some trout somewhere. Good instincts seem to separate the cream from the milk at times like that. I can't "quantify" it either, but many people speak of the unique quality of what I call the "just add water" fisherman. Put any kind of tackle in his or her hands on any water anywhere and soon enough he or she will be catching fish. Call it "fish sense." Call it the ability to think like a fish. Call it whatever you will. But most of us have met someone who just has a knack for catching fish that separates them from most reasonably respectable anglers. I know several of these guys. None of them can explain it in a detailed way either.

Fishing beats computers in another way. Even when I screw up a cast, often happens, I can catch a fish. Screw up a computer and you need a guru to fix the darn thing.

Rick

Yes, the computer provides in incredible amount of information, but a living, breathing human still has the task of sorting out the truth from the non-sense. Most popular search engines, as I understand it, provide the most accessed sites in response to a search, not the most reliable. A teacher I know has to explain over and over to his students just why he will not accept Wikipedia as a reference.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread