the main competitor of Canon is Pentax and they are no longer sold in stores
Hmmm...among cameras in general, I'd say Nikon is a bigger chunk of the market than Pentax, but within waterproof compacts, I'd put Canon at a distant 4th, behind Olympus, Pentax, and Panasonic (not necessarily in that order).

Either way, this last post by nighthawk is full of good information, especially about crowded sensors (which most people don't consider) and about forgetting digital zoom and focusing only on optical zoom. Simply put, digital zoom simply crops your existing picture, something you can easily do on the computer, on your own, with any software.

Is it that old?? I had just seen an ad online or in a magazine this past week, so I assumed it just came out. Sorry, my bad!
Check the date at the very link you shared.

night, that WG-1 seems pretty nice, but it seems that almost all the major players in waterproof compacts are just reinventing the wheel at this point. I won't be looking to replace my WS80 until they put out a waterproof compact with PASM, 10X or better zoom, large sensor, or especially good, fast glass in it. Of those, I think the large sensor is the most likely to happen soon, with the advent of the ILC as well as new lines of large sensor compacts like the Fuji X100, which i'd also love to own.