+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whiting 100's packs

Default Whiting 100's packs

Has anyone had any experience with the Whiting 100's pack whica are pre-zized saddle hackles of all the same size? I recently bought a half dozen packs and was dissapointed. Most of the hackles were 1 or 2 sizes smaller than the packages were marked according to my hackle gage and the appearance of my finished flies. Another complaint was that a section of each hackle had the barbs stroked out so they were perpendicular to the stem making that section unusable, at least my results were poor. Also there was a big color variation in what I bought as light ginger. Most were dark and I could scarcely tell them from the package of brown. I don't want to knock Whiting hackles as a whole. They are really great hackles but I think they need to take a closer look at quality control for this type of packaging. Any thoughts?

I use them and like them. I use a Griffin gauge and find that the sizes match up pretty well.

Interesting that you mention the Ginger. This is the one color, which for some reason, Whiting seems to have some trouble with. The Ginger is all over the map - very light almost white or a nice shade of brown. I have found in particular -at least in my neck of the woods- that the problem is specifically centered on the size 14. I haven't had this problem in any other size or any other color.

I use the part of the feather with the barbs stroked out. Haven't had a problem.

-Steven

I use and like them. There are cheaper ways to go, but I'm lazy.

I've used them and encountered none of the problems you describe ! I like the sizing as you can use the tips of the feathers for one size smaller flies than marked and the butts for the size marked. also I think they are not as expensive as one would think, since nearly 100% of the feathers are usable as opposed to a Whiting neck or saddle which are really expensive.
    Tap her light and she'll always be fresh!
    Paddy ---------------<(*)(({{

------------------
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

I use them as a learning aid...helps drive home what size feathers I should be looking for when I'm trying to tie a specific size. When I try (even using a hackle gauge) to select a feather from a normal cape/neck/etc, I always seem to be a little off.

The 100's packs are much closer. If I want to tweak the size up/down, I grab the next size pack up or down and use it.

Sometimes I intentionally go up or down a size and it's handy to have the 100's packs to crib off of.

6. Default

I've also had the same problem. I fish warmwater, so my dry fly hackle stock is small. I have one pack of Whiting 100s Grizzly size 12 and one of Brown size 12. They both seem like size 14 hackles when using Mustad 94845 size 12 hooks.
    Lucky for me though, I use parachutes a lot more than traditonal dry flies. So it doesn't matter.
    Yes mine also have places where the hackle sticks out 90 degrees from the quill, but I can't recall that being a problem when wrapping them.

Warmouth

Not had the problem in the past but I bought some size 10 black recently and could not figure out why the flies looked off some how. finally took the hackle gauge and they seem to be a size 12 toward the base and 14 toward the tip. This was on a pack bought a month ago.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

flydr,

I've used the Whiting 100's in a variety of colors and sizes. I like them. They are a lot easier than hunting for the right size on a cape.

But I do agree with JC. I ordered from Conranch for the first time several weeks ago. I had several very specific needs and told Denny what I required. A week later two absolutely beautiful capes were in my mailbox. I told Denny in a thank-you email, it was like sending a fly-tying friend to select some capes or saddles for you. I'll second JC's recomendation!

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Whiting Pro grade are hard to beat when it come to value, you get a neck full of useable feathers for a great price.
    Joe Fox

+ Reply to Thread