+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Harris Fest 2011

Blog Entries

Default Harris Fest 2011

http://lenharris.blogspot.com/2011/0...te-is-set.html

If you are in the area there is usually lots of extra beer and food.

As a public employee, would I be safe? I joke, because that food would bring me, man.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Spinner

The hardest part of winter is not cooking on the grill. On the up side Great Lakes Brewery did come out with there Conway's Irish Ale 3 weeks ago and I was able to get a keg.

Do you smoke your brats then put them in a pot of beer with onions and peppers and let them steep then put them on a bun with brown mustard and the onion and peppers?
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Spinner et al, I have yet to be convinced that steeping PLASTIC WRAPPED brats in beer, onions peppers and whatever actually imparts ANY flavor to them. Does not the casing prevent any comingling of the flavors?. I understand that TYVEK would allow such comingling but I have no appetite for that at the moment.
    But, other than that question, the vittles pictured look extremely yummy.

Mark
    PS: We do get to enjoy fairly good German fare at a local restaurant DEETERS. The spelling of their name is intentiolly distorted from it's proper German because "DIETERS " would hardly be a draw for customers.
    Last edited by Marco; 03-10-2011 at 12:10 PM.

Marco,

I would think that smoking the brats first would open them up, since they do "sweat". Unless they are encased in Gortex - then they will probably only let moisture out! LOL!!! My 2 cents worth is all just conjecture - no facts -just thinking out loud tis all. I have no culinary experience to back up my statement, other than I once made toast (2 slices!) and they didn't come out to bad - although I'll probably "cook" something that involves an easier recipe next time, like poached water or steamed air! LOL!!! Bon jovy, or is it bon appetit? Hold on a sec here - Marco, you are taking them out of the plastic wrap they're shipped in - aren't you??? Geesh, and I thought I didn't know anything about cooking. I learned after the first time that I made toast, that you have to take the bread OUT of the bread bag! Funny that the instructions didn't mention that! Did you know that plastic melting in a toaster can smell up your whole house. It's true! Take it from me, I learned the hard way!!!

Best regards, Dave S.

Fishdog,
    I have to agree tha some sort of "open them up" does have to occur or else it's just a recipe that SOUNDS excellent ( great bar talk " I make mine.......") but actually makes absolutely NO difference in the taste of the brat itself. And, then again, I ain't from Sheboygan so what do I know?

Mark

Dave, Mark

When you smoke brats you use indirect heat (not directly over the coals or gas). It has been my experience that when you use this method the brats will actually boil inside their casings and if they do spilt you won't have a flair up from the juices. They take a little while longer to cook but you won't be sorry.

I personally use a Webber charcoal grill and over the last year or so of smoking and grilling meats I have developed a passion for perfection on the grill.

I was actually fishing for grilling tips from Spinner, actually any food tips from Spinner if in fact he is the one that prepares the mouth watering pictures of the food he posts; and if he is he is like a god to me.

This spring I am going to start making my own sausage and brats. Oh and while I am thinking of it and you like brats but for some reason can't eat them for cholesterol reasons try “Honeysuckle Turkey Brats”. Wow are they good. Don't compare them to a regular brat (though you could, man are they good) eat them on their own praiseworthy quality.

I mentioned in my last post on this post smoking them then steeping them in beer and onions and peppers I forgot to mention a stick of butter and never let the beer boil.

I have to stop this post before I start to cry............ we just got 8 inches of snow.

Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Sean,
    I'm /will be all over that "turkey brats" thing. I do LOVE brats but insist that they lose some of that "juiceiness" in the cooking process. I know, it's cullinary blasphemy for brat prep BUT, as Susan Hayward once said, "I want To Live"

Mark
    PS: Almost forgot, someone mentioned Harris Fest ?

Mark

Drop me a line and let me know how you liked them. Hope you enjoy.

Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Blog Entries

Ordered the wife a dirndl from Germany for Harris Fest tonight!

+ Reply to Thread