+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ekich Ultimate Bobbin

Hybrid View

Default Ekich Ultimate Bobbin

Who is tying with a Ekich Bobbin, are they worth their weight and gold??

A little pricey for me @ $100 Click Here
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

I liked it enough to get a second for my other tying station located in another state....there's a learning curve.

Don't know if a Rite would compare????

Blog Entries

Bugman is the only one I know who uses an Ekich bobbin. He loves it.

Quote Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
    Who is tying with a Ekich Bobbin, are they worth their weight and gold??

A little pricey for me @ $100 Click Here

popperfly,

That is one fine tying apparatus! Have waaay too many bobbins now! If I had not accumulated so many, I would consider this one, or a Rite bobbin. Was in a fly shop with my dad awhile back, and he offered to buy me one of the Rite bobbins! I told him that I just didn't need it - which is true. Oh well!! I am going to pass this on though. Thanks

Best regards, Dave S.

I have a Rite bobbin that I use for spinning deer hair.

It's not in any way an Ekich Bobbin, though.

The Rite maintains an adjustable tension on the thread. That's it's prime feature and one that I like because I can set it for heavier threads.

The Ekich will rewind the thread, which is it's prime feature. The literature says that this is 'essential' for rotary tying, but I use a rotary vise and so far I've not had any trouble with using a standard bobbin. I can see where the rewind capability would be nice, though.

I do like neat tools, though, and the Ekich certainly meets the 'neat tool' criteria for me. I've been considering one of the NorVise bobbins, but the Ekich will use standard spools where the NorVise one won't. Might be fun to have one, someday.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

I have and use an Ekitch bobbin. Nice tool, fits the hand well and operates as described. As stated, there is a learning curve. I'm used to managing the thread tension with my hand, this is a no-no with the Ekitch. It regulates the thread tension for you. That is a bit uncomfortable for me, but seems to work well. One advantage of the Ekitch over the other automatic bobbin is that you can use the thread spools and not reload the thread on special spools. Be aware that not all thread spools are created equal. The Ekitch works like a champ with Danville spools, not so well with Gordon Griffith spools. As a result, I use Danville's with the Ekitch and my Nor-Bobbin with the Gordon Griffiths thread.

Threading the Ekitch requires a dental floss threader with a slightly singed end because of a bump where the ceramic tube starts. Metal bobbin threaders can damage a ceramic bobbin tube, so all I use are the dental floss thraders. However, locating the one with the slightly singed end on my very messy tying desk can be a pain.

Is the bobbin worth the money? Jury is still out for me. I've only been using it for a year, still haven't made up my mind.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

JC was a believer, we visited Faruk Ekich at his summer home in Quebec a couple of years ago and JC got the full instruction from him.
    It is a terrific tool, he was a Sponsor here for a couple of years *S* and you will find a fly or two from him in the Fly of the Week, do a search on Faruk Ekich...tube flies too.

REE,
    I use the dental floss threaders occasionally, but prefer a Surger sewing machine threader. Longer, rigid
    and fits through all my bobbin tubes. Ever try one??
    SweetS

Default Both Cents

The Ekich is almost essential to obtain the maximum benefit and potential from your rotary vise. In spite of utilizing every 'speed technique' out there, (loading wraps ahead, a second rest, numerous finger+/-thumb dexterity tricks, etc.) going to the Ekich will allow you to be at least twice as productive for your time at the vise.

The "learning curve" is quite rapid if you use the Ekich to the exclusion of the others. Your finished flies' quality will improve considerably. Do start a little slowly to retrain your dominant hand and then speed up as the new 'muscle memory' develops. Give your broken-in and well trained bobbins to your students as you school the next generation to the enjoyment we inherited.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

AlanB Guest

Two friends of mine have them. I have tied quite a bit with one. They are a superb piece of engineering, beautifully put together. There is a but however.

Mostly I tie non rotary. I do use a lot of split thread techniques, this means spinning the bobbin a lot. I found it just didn't have the balance for a good spin. I have been told to place a finger along side the tube while spinning it. That does help the balance, but slows the spin. The result is that I have to spin the bobbin two or three times to get the same twist I get from one spin with the TMC ones I use. This extra time more than takes up any time saved rewinding the thread onto the bobbin. For the way I tie now there is no gain. There may even be a loss.

The other friend tells me, and I'll accept his word, that the Ekich does not have enough "travel" to use on his Nor Vice. He uses the Nor Bobbin for that. I have been considering a Nor Vice myself, and will, if I do get that, learn from his expensive mistake. As both he and I buy thread on 10 000 meter spools re spooling is needed for any bobbin holder.

Though I am impressed with it as a piece of engineering craftsmanship, it doesn't offer me anything for the extra expense.

Cheers,
    A.

+ Reply to Thread