+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ekich Ultimate Bobbin

The competitor to the Ekich is the Nor-vise bobbin. If they were the same price, I'd buy the Ekich. But they are not.

I use the Nor-vise Automatic Bobbin. I can get 3 of them for $115.50 rather than 1 Ekich for $100.00. Extra bobbin spools are 10 for $24 with free shipping.

I have 4 Nor-vise bobbins and all my treads on Nor-vis spools for less than 2 Ekich Bobbins. I've found that the Nor-vise spools are more compact that the commercial thread spools so I can fit all of them in a zip lock sandwich bag.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

An impressive piece of engineering and congrats to those who are able to enjoy such craftsmanship. However, I cast my lot years ago with the S&M bobbin; it's always been faithful (with maybe a little coaxing from some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper on one or two of them), never let me down, and just feels like a part of my hand. At $4.50 a pop they were worth the investment; I think I ended up with 10 of them, which is probably 7 too many since I've never worn one out, but at that rate I figure I can tie until I'm 173.

Regards,
    Scott

REE,
    I use the dental floss threaders occasionally, but prefer a Surger sewing machine threader. Longer, rigid
    and fits through all my bobbin tubes. Ever try one??
    SweetS

Default Both Cents

The Ekich is almost essential to obtain the maximum benefit and potential from your rotary vise. In spite of utilizing every 'speed technique' out there, (loading wraps ahead, a second rest, numerous finger+/-thumb dexterity tricks, etc.) going to the Ekich will allow you to be at least twice as productive for your time at the vise.

The "learning curve" is quite rapid if you use the Ekich to the exclusion of the others. Your finished flies' quality will improve considerably. Do start a little slowly to retrain your dominant hand and then speed up as the new 'muscle memory' develops. Give your broken-in and well trained bobbins to your students as you school the next generation to the enjoyment we inherited.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

AlanB Guest

Two friends of mine have them. I have tied quite a bit with one. They are a superb piece of engineering, beautifully put together. There is a but however.

Mostly I tie non rotary. I do use a lot of split thread techniques, this means spinning the bobbin a lot. I found it just didn't have the balance for a good spin. I have been told to place a finger along side the tube while spinning it. That does help the balance, but slows the spin. The result is that I have to spin the bobbin two or three times to get the same twist I get from one spin with the TMC ones I use. This extra time more than takes up any time saved rewinding the thread onto the bobbin. For the way I tie now there is no gain. There may even be a loss.

The other friend tells me, and I'll accept his word, that the Ekich does not have enough "travel" to use on his Nor Vice. He uses the Nor Bobbin for that. I have been considering a Nor Vice myself, and will, if I do get that, learn from his expensive mistake. As both he and I buy thread on 10 000 meter spools re spooling is needed for any bobbin holder.

Though I am impressed with it as a piece of engineering craftsmanship, it doesn't offer me anything for the extra expense.

Cheers,
    A.

Quote Originally Posted by gordo7 View Post
    The Ekich is almost essential to obtain the maximum benefit and potential from your rotary vise. In spite of utilizing every 'speed technique' out there, (loading wraps ahead, a second rest, numerous finger+/-thumb dexterity tricks, etc.) going to the Ekich will allow you to be at least twice as productive for your time at the vise.

The "learning curve" is quite rapid if you use the Ekich to the exclusion of the others. Your finished flies' quality will improve considerably. Do start a little slowly to retrain your dominant hand and then speed up as the new 'muscle memory' develops. Give your broken-in and well trained bobbins to your students as you school the next generation to the enjoyment we inherited.
    Revisiting a year old thread to sing the praises of a bobbin of debatable merits. Really? What, you have stock in the company?

But seriously folks, this is a pretty bold assertion, and I'd argue that the Ekrich bobbin actually reduced my productivity by at least half. Personally, I do not have AlanB's issue, but I do dislike how hard it is to load, how it designed to be held on a single plane, how it feels to the hand, too expensive to have more than one, heavy, etc., etc., etc. Bought one a while ago, tried it for a time and now keep it as a reminder that just because something is nicely engineered, it does not follow that it is better. A nice toy but definitely not worth the money, IMHO.

YMMV.

I received one when I traded my Dyna King Barracuda for a Nor Vise with a member here on the bb. I found it awkward to use. I find the Nor Vice Automatic bobbin to be superior. I have used the Automatic bobbin on both the Nor Vise and a Dyna King Voyager II and come to appreciate the take-up feature and spin balance of the bobbin. I have since given the Ekich bobbin to another member here.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

My bad....didn't realize the antiquity of the thread....I was just stumbling (link to link liked) around enjoying the reading and overlooked that little facty.

But will stand by my assertions....afterall they're mine.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

Blog Entries

Gordon, not to worry.....
    I don't think Ekich is a publicly traded company, so I'm sure you own no stock.
    LOL!!!!!!
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 05-01-2013 at 07:18 AM.

I bought the smaller Ekich and after a month or so decided to try my old Rite bobbins again. It made me realize how much I relied on the features of the automatic bobbin and I have not touched my older bobbins after that, and I also ordered the larger one for steelhead. I still use a conventional bobbin when I am using the smaller spools of silk, but the Ekich has been worth every penny to me. Great bobbin. I like the fit in my hand better than the Nor.

+ Reply to Thread