+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Strength Rating

Hybrid View

Question Strength Rating

What is the general strength rating on these standard twisted thread things?

Oh ya, what happened to Normand and Cold? Did they get the boot? I'm sure Norm would know and be a jerk about just Googleing it and spelling.
    Last edited by luckie88; 03-08-2011 at 02:21 AM.
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Luckie

I'll let the Rocket Scientists weigh in on this one...

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Default Strength rating ...

... would vary with the kind of thread used and the configuration, i.e how many strands were used in the tip end of the leader and how the tip end was finished.

For example, if the tip end has six strands of thread, that means there are three looped strands at the very end of the tip. That is the least number of strands in the leader and the given weak point.** Any strength rating would be measured at that point.

How that leader is finished at the tip end would also be significant. If a tip ring is incorporated before the leader is furled, there is a maximum of three strands of thread through the ring. If a shorb loop is used to finish the tip end, the loop itself will have six strands, but the loop will be held closed by three strands, but those three strands only have to take half the stress put on the shorb loop ( half the stress goes to the strands closing the loop and half the stress goes to the length of the leader towards the butt ).

However, it is my experience, and it does seem to be confirmed by some science, that the furling process makes the combined strength of the furled strands stronger than the combined strength of the same number of strands of the same material not furled.

So much for rocket science.

I use Danville 210 Flymaster Plus thread ( roughly equivalent to 3/0 thread ). The tip end of the leader has six strands, with three strands looped at the very tip end of the leader. A tip ring is incorporated before the furling starts so the finished leader has three twisted strands passing through the tip ring. That set up is strong enough to break off 2X 10# test tippet with no damage to the tip ring nor the leader.

John

** Unless it is a weight forward configuration.
    Last edited by JohnScott; 03-09-2011 at 02:04 AM.
    The fish are always right.

So, luckie88, why the personal attacks out of the blue on some of our members? Based on what I just read, maybe its you who should get the boot...just sayin'. Thought we were all supposed to play nice. You didn't even wait for a response, just went right for the jugular. I think the mods ought to step in here and sort this out.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Being one of those rocket scientists i suppose i have to answer this one: Don't know, i don't make enough leaders to sacrifice some of them for testing purposes, which in my opinion is the only way to determine this. Anyway, they're stronger then my tippet.

Karel

Default Actually ...

Quote Originally Posted by kglissmeyer View Post
    ...why the personal attacks out of the blue on some of our members? ...Kelly.
    ... neither Cold nor Normand are members. If you check Normand's recent posts you will notice that he is shown as a "guest", and neither he nor Cold are shown on member list.

Maybe the moderators already have acted ?? Or maybe Cold and Normand just decided they didn't want to hang around here any more ??

John
    The fish are always right.

Sorry, John, members or not, it wasn't very nice what luckie88 had to say. If any one of us has a question to ask or a comment to make, then make it, don't then tag on an attack to anyone - not nice.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread