I have question for those of you that are active in FF'ing clubs that have regular meetings featuring a presentation or speaker. Does your club give the speaker anything for doing the meeting's presentation?

I realize that some clubs are large enough to occasionally bring in a "name" speaker and that those folks may require a fee and travel expenses. But that is not the situation I'm asking about.

I'm wondering what you do, if anything, for local people that come and talk at your meetings? Our group is still new, small, and broke so we use "volunteer" speakers. We have helped some of them with gas money type of expenses, but otherwise we don't really do anything for the speakers to thank them.

So, we're kicking around the idea of putting together a set of flies from the club's tiers. Basically, get a half dozen or so tiers to donate a dozen flies to the club and then each month we could give a set of each of the flies to that month's speaker. Maybe even have the tier's sign the fly boxes that we give out. Each year would be a different set of flies. This would just be a simple way of trying to say thank you someone that comes to talk to us.

What do other clubs do for their speakers? What do you think about the fly box set idea? Does a fly box sound like a reasonable gift or would you be insulted to receive something like that?

Thanks for your comments.

Rex