Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishpond and HSUS

Default Fishpond and HSUS

Does it bother anyone that a respected fishing based company, Fishpond, is teaming up with an organization which states it's goal is to stop sport fishing, HSUS.
    http://www.humanesociety.org/forms/p...ss_pledge.html

The cause is just and something I can support but a company does not need to lend their credibiluity to a groups whose purpose is to put them out of business and cause us great harm as anglers.

It looks to me as if the partnership is based more around an opposition to catch & kill specifically, as opposed to all sport fishing. I don't really have a dog in the fight, but it all seems to make sense to me, at least at first glance.

I don't really have dog in this fight either. Fish pond, etc can do whatever they want. I have learned that these companies -as well as conservation organizations - often say one thing and do another.

The HS link listed above- to me, suggests an opposition to catch and kill which for the most part I can agree with -- especially sharks as the link seems to suggest. I practice pretty much exclusive C&R but I would see and agree with catch and kill in some cases such as were fish management indicates it is necessary --- for example, trying to remove and kill lake trout from Yellowstone lake while releasing cut throat.

I never did like seeing bill fish,tarpon, bass, shark fish tournaments etc. where fish were caught, killed, hung up on a scale for a photo op and then everyone walks away leaving the dead fish to rot in the sun. Fortunately, I believe those situations are becoming less common.

Hummm.
    If Fishpond has teamed up with the whackos at HSUS (which it appears they indeed have), no more Fishpond products for me.
    Mark 1:17

fishpond gear is nice, but WAY overpriced. I've always had the impression their equipment is purchased as a status symbol as much as anything. I've never owned any of it, and won't start now.

i support the C&R for shark fishing but how do you feel about a fishing company supporting an anti-fishing org. would this support not give HSUS more credibility and better allow HSUS fight to ban sport fishing all together?

rizeye,

Unless things have changed, HSUS is in bed with PETA! Since I have no way of knowing that any money I give to HSUS will be used specifically for the purpose I intended it, they will not get a red cent out of me! These people are not stupid and will try to wiggle their way into things, trying to use the conservation nature of sportsmen & women. Caveat Emptor!! If this issue is of concern to me, I will check into organizations I can trust! Fishpond is cutting off their noses to spite their face. I thought their products were very well made and really liked their motif (similar to Dan Baileys). Too bad for them though!! If Fishpond knows something we don't, they better come out with it - because they may have just lost another potential customer. So far, all I have from Fishpond is their fly floatant carrier. Had one from another company, but liked the nice patterns on theirs - still have th old one, so Fishponds product may be up for sale - if they tick me off enough! I still have a stigma with Patagonia when they tried to go down that road a number of years back. Still will not buy their products!!

Best regards, Dave S.

I have no problem with this, as (as far as I can find on their site and a quick web search) the HSUS is only against cantch and kill fishing, which I agree with for the most part (not for invasive species). Especially with the shark kill tournaments this seems like an ecologically responsible stance for both the HSUS and fishpond to take.
    I spend a little time on the mountain, I spend a little time on the hill...

HSUS is not the local Human Society in your neighborhood. read this for a profile not written by someone in HSUS

http://www.activistcash.com/organiza...-united-states

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...9113039AAzvKXT

HSUS is a bunch of nuts with an ultimate agenda of mandating vegetarianism and outlawing or highly regulating animal ownership. That cabal would indeed like to end hunting and fishing.

I have no use for HSUS or anyone that supports them.

Closed Thread