Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fishpond and HSUS

HSUS is not the humane society you got your dog from. HSUS do not run shelters. you are confusing the 2 organization, this was done on perpose by HSUS to garner sympathy from name association. believe what you will but don't believe the propaganda HSUS prints about itself.

http://www.consumerfreedom.com/press...umbrella-group-

http://endangeredowner.blogspot.com/...r-program.html

an clip from a long article:http://www.oes.org/page2/21181~HSUS_...ion_Alert.html

As HSUS President Wayne Pacelle said of his goal: ?€œOne generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals.?€? Goodbye, dogs. His plan is to accomplish this by laws that mandate pet sterilization, and make it almost impossible for someone to raise a litter of puppies.

In spite of its name, the Humane Society of the United States has no relationship to local humane societies. It does not operate a single shelter. It does not help a single dog. It provides very little funding to help shelters. In 2006, for example, HSUS (with a net worth of $113 million) gave only 4.2% of its $85 million operating budget to animal shelters. The vast majority of HSUS expenditures are for fund-raising. What?€™s left goes to political lobbying.

HSUS also has a horrible track record of misusing the funds it raises to benefit animals. A study of HSUS fund-raising in California, for example, concluded that only 11.3% of the money collected was left over after fund-raising expenses were deducted. With PETA, only 28% of the money was available after fund-raising costs were deducted. The national average is 46%.

There also have been some scandals involving HSUS funding. For example, the organization raised a lot of money to help the dogs rescued from Michael Vicks?€™ dog fighting operation. Insiders say that not one penny actually was used to help those dogs. It all went to HSUS publicity. The U.S. Attorney?€™s Office reportedly asked HSUS to cease this campaign, because damage was being done to the prosecution?€™s case against Vicks. Problems also were reported in the HSUS involvement with the effort to rescue dogs following Hurricane Katrina.

In New York, HSUS employed a company called Share Group to raise funds. In 2000, Share Group gave HSUS only $16,543 of the $1.08 million it raised in New York (a return of only 1.53%). In 2004, Share Group raised over $1 million in HSUS?€™s name, but lost money. HSUS wound up paying about $173,000 to Share Group.

Unfortunately, PETA does operate an animal shelter, although calling it that is an aberration. It recent years, PETA has killed between 91-percent and 97-percent of the animals it has received at its Norfolk, VA, shelter. In 1996, PETA took in 1,030 dogs and killed 988 of them, while finding homes for only eight. That year, PETA hauled in $30 million in revenues. None of this money went to help dogs. Not one penny was used to save the life of a dog, or to give it a better life.

PETA?€™s actual kill statistics might be much worse, as apparently many dogs picked up by shelter employees never make it out of the truck alive. A pair of PETA employees were charged with 31 counts of animal cruelty after they were observed throwing dead dogs in garbage bags into a dumpster behind a grocery store only a couple of hours after they were ?€œrescued?€? from a nearby animal shelter. North Carolina and Virginia authorities report that hundreds of other dead dogs wrapped in garbage bags have been found in local dumpsters and strewn along riverbanks.

The fact that we can disagree with dignity and respect is a great thing.

Apologies to Flyguy (I mistyped "flygut" in the previous post)

Rizeye,

We've both made our point. Your position will most certainly garner more support. As I said in my last post, I doubt I'll convince you or others who have posted here.

To clarify, I am well aware that HSUS is not the local animal shelter. I have never confused the two. I have never been under the assumption that HSUS runs local shelters. As I explained in my previous post, I am not affiliated with HSUS. I do support my local animal shelter by giving some cash or items every year. Those two statements do not suggest I think the two groups are the same.

You continue to cite damning articles from groups who are at odds with HSUS. The CCF has a economic incentive to undermine HSUS's credibility. So does the dog breeders association. I have no problem with many established dog kennels who follow AKC guidelines, although HSUS probably would. I, and HSUS and probably many others, do have problems with puppy mills that supply pet shops. As the article you cite indicates, HSUS does lobby extensively. In other words, they use $$ to get political influence. All the more reason for CCF and the dog breeders to try to undermine HSUS.

HSUS, like the United Way and some other nonprofits, has been busted for wasting donations. This has nothing to do with HSUS being an animal welfare or animal rights organization. This may, however, be a good reason not to support HSUS.

I'm happy to let you have the last word. I'm out.

I appreciate your passion. I disagree with your conclusions.

I agree....good discussion.

Again, in case there is a misconception held by any. The HSUS is not the Humane Society. Rizeye is spot-on. It's a common mistake made, and one that the HSUS uses intentionally to garner unknowing support from folks who love their pets

I've watched this string with great interest and must congratulate all who posted and kept their cool. I do believe everything has been said and in the interest of moving on perhaps even to something fishing related I am closing this one. Thanks everyone!

Closed Thread