+ Reply to Thread

Thread: YELLOWSTONE COUNTRY TERRESTRIALS - EOTG - Mar 7, 2011

Blog Entries

Default YELLOWSTONE COUNTRY TERRESTRIALS - EOTG - Mar 7, 2011

YELLOWSTONE COUNTRY TERRESTRIALS

I have been frequently asked what types of patterns were the most under-utilized on Montana waters. Simply put, terrestrials are the most effective and under-utilized patterns on Montana waters. Now I know that many of you are already using hopper patterns, but I am referring to ants, beetles and crickets.

Very interesting article on Terrestrials! Everything that "Tom Travis" said for the "Yellowstone" can also apply to your favorite waters.

Al Campbell explained that instead of rushing to the edge of the stream and start casting, it is better to sit on a high point away from the stream and just observe for a few minutes. Over time spend in observation, you will start to see actions on the water surface that you might not otherwise have notice. When the hatch is on, definitely go dry fly, attempting to match the hatch, but when there is no hatch watch to see what else is happening. As Al Campbell told me "Let the Pretty Girls show themselves!" Same applies to Terrestrials. Grasshoppers or Crickets in the grass, if you stomp your feet they will jump. Some of them might jump into the water, and instantly be consumed by a fish waiting for this to happen.... ~Parnelli
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

Good article. It might be nice for the newer tyers to see a photo of the fly along with the pattern. Right on about the ants, too. They do sink like pretty much everything. I have buddies that fish them as part of a 2 nymph rig and never fish them on the surface. They will tell you they catch more fisdh when fishing the ants sunk.
    Bruce

Spruce moth works well if they are flying..

+ Reply to Thread