Ladyfisher,

I have mentioned this elsewhere, but will repeat myself because you are specifically addressing this subject. I personally have reached the apex of what I can do with a fly rod - any fly rod! I have absolutely no need for anything that has been developed beyond a rod that is the equivalent of say a Loomis GLX, or a GL3, for that matter. I am just as guilty of encouraging this kind of "gotta have the latest and greatest" by buying the next generation (which may have been a time frame of a year or less, between them!) before I've even gotten proficient with the one I already have. I love new stuff - don't get me wrong, but I'm starting to think that I may have needed "intervention" at one point.

Here's what I found out about rods - for me - YMMV. My first rod was a nice Montague boo rod. Liked it alot! My second rod was a fiberglass Wonder rod. This was an 8wt. and an abomination (steel girder) to cast. Maybe I was too young for it? My third rod was an 8 1/2 ft Fenwick (brown glass) - 1980?. The Fenwick was a joy to cast compared to the Shakespeare Wonder Noodle. Anyway, I recently purchased an Eagle Claw rod (graphite) for 1/3rd the cost of the Fenwick, at a major retail store. This rod will cast circles around any of the previous rods mentioned. If this was the only rod model I owned today, I could easily live with that. I would want it in a few different weights, but that would be it. For day to day trout fishing, this rod will do it all, and in style. It is a well made rod with some half-way decent components. I am strictly talking about performance. My emphasis is not on the cost (although imported) it may be assembled from U.S. parts? Don't know - didn't ask.

I don't have any disabilities that affect my casting ability now or in the past - there's probably an experience factor, but I am also comparing this EC rod with rods with names like Loomis, Cortland, Hardy, Scientific Angler, Orvis, Diamond Back, H.L. Leonard (graphite), Pflueger, and various Boo rods, all of which I currently own. This EC rod is not that far behind most of these rods and in fact is ahead of a few - in the casting and components department.

Now, this really isn't about this Eagle Claw rod per say, it is more a testimonial to the quandary some of us find ourselves in. For myself - unless I see a sweet custom made rod - which I recently have, or are looking to get a rod to donate - I'm done buying rods. What would I do with the next generation rod if the ones I own now, do all I can make them do? The most "advanced" rod I own now, is the Loomis GLX. This may now be considered a museum piece! LOL!!

Here's another analogy (at least in my pointy head!): The latest military fighter jet is supposed to be so advanced that the next generation fighter will be beyond the ability of a human being to fly it. I think we have exceeded that threshold when it comes to fly rods. Interesting thread, it will be interesting also to hear others view points. My position is not set in stone, and can be modified by any good "argument". I do have a "ceiling" that I would pay, for any commercial graphite rod, unless it is a "collectors model", and then my pocket book will be the deciding factor!

Hope you brought plenty of popcorn with you before you started reading my OPUS/TOME!! LOL!!!

Best regards, Dave S.