flyguy66,

It's hard (for ME) to get too excited anymore with commercially made, graphite (or equivalent man-made materials) fly rods thats performance level(?) is beyond most peoples ability and pocket books! Custom made rods are a different story - you are buying a specific makers handicraft/artistic ability. I feel the same way about guns. There is definitely a cut-off point in the design of shotguns, where you would feel it has reached its maximum potential, as a hunting implement. However, once you have reached your full potential, you do start looking at the value of the craftsmanship, and owning a shotgun made with say - a nicer grade of wood, or some engraving. It will not make you a better shot, but it's not about that, it's about the appreciation of the art and skill that went into it. Why buy a beautiful wooden trout net when you can buy an aluminium/graphite one? - because you admire the skill and craftsmanship that went into it.(that's why I don't like that new Ghost (rubber) netting - it severely detracts (ugly) from a fine piece of wood workmanship! IMHO. There are some who will buy stuff for the name only, I'm not one of them. If I don't put my personal "seal of approval" on it - your name might as well be mud - cuz I'm not impressed! I will also say that there are a number of "names" out there that are synonymous with quality, and throwing their name about is not so much bragging, but more of a indication of "getting your moneys worth" If a shotgun owner mentions the name "Purdy" are you automatically thinking "Snob" or are you thinking - yes, those are some of the finest made shotguns in the world! I personally would think the latter. YMMV. Just because I can't afford something, doesn't mean I won't appreciate it for its own artistic value. Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I admire the craftsmanship and the design/functionality of a product, but when the functionality goes beyond my abilities, the only thing that can get me to pay more for it is it's craftsmanship! Hope I haven't confused anyone with my sometimes(?) circuitous rambling. Hey, you think your heads spinning - I have to live with myself - count yourself lucky! LOL!!!

Best regards, Dave S.