+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where did the little string go?

Question Where did the little string go?

OK, so there I am out in the rain, in March, before any fish in the whole reservoir have come out of deep water. But, I'm finally going to get my Iwana 12' wet! I pull it out of the bag and prepare to attach my (thanks Chris) level line when low and behold no string on the tip of the rod!!!

The tip had slipped inside the next larger section. Trying to be the true minimalist Tenkara fisher I have no tools with me. I was finally able to push the tip section out with my bodkin when I returned home. I now have the string clipped inside the rod cap and I ordered a replacement tip section. I'll pick up a new bodkin to add to my Tenkara kit.

I'm concerned keeping the string in the rod cap will wear it out and there does not seem to be any way to replace it short of buying a replacement tip section.

Has this happened to others? What do you do to prevent it?

I have never had that problem. I usually keep my line attached to the lillian, red string, and wrap the line around the grip.

If you are talking about the Lilian which is the "string" attached to the tip section; does it have an overhand knot in it? If not, it should. The knot keeps the Lilian from slipping through the next section when you collapse the rod. The knot also keeps the attached line in place if you use the loop-to-loop attachment method.

FWIW, I use a slightly different method to attach my level lines. Instead of the level line attachment knot which is this:

I add a small Perfection loop to the end of my level lines. I then add a larger loop of heavy braided fishing line to the Perfection loop via a loop-to-loop connection. That extra loop of braided line allows me to attach my level lines to the Lilian exactly the same way as a traditional furled Tenkara line. Like this:

BTW, you can buy extra Lilian material from Tenkara USA that can be attached to the tip section if ever needed.
    Last edited by Bamboozle; 03-06-2011 at 03:12 PM.

I'm wondering if that little string can be glued inside the tip section so it never can slip down. Or does it come glued in place?

It is glued to the outside end of the tip section, exactly like a tip top guide. A knot placed in it will easily keep it from slipping inside of the next section.

Glad to be reminded of the vocabulary, yes, the lillian. And, yes, it does have an overhand knot in it. Even with the knot it slipped through. I'll check in to the extra material.
    Last edited by billhouk; 03-07-2011 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Spelling, d@*n wireless keyboard

It's a pretty simple process, if it helps, I've posted some pictures to show the process -

http://tenkaraflyfish.webs.com/apps/blog/

(about half way down the page)
    "People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    Glad to be reminded of the vocabulary, yes, the lillian. And, yes, it does have an overhand knot in it. Even with the knot it slipped through. I'll check in to the extra material.
    Bill:

Take out the overhand knot and put in a figure 8 knot instead which is bulkier. I think I did the same thing on my Lilian.

Thanks, Bam. The knot in the Lillian has gotten tight and small. Maybe that is all I need to do. I went to T-USA but did not see a listing for extra Lillian material. Any one know the link it have suggestions for alternate sources.
    Last edited by billhouk; 03-07-2011 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Spelling

Bill:

I looked and can't find the spare Lilian either but I know Daniel did have it for sale before because I bought some. You might try e-mailing him.

+ Reply to Thread