+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just Bought a Tarpon 12

If you are going to be fishing in rivers, you want your anchor line to be coming out of the boat dead center of the keel line. If it is off to one side, the boat will angle in the current and increase drag and it will start swaying back and forth. Last year I watched a lady drop an anchor over the side of her yak with the rope tied to the side of the boat. When the anchor grabbed, it flipped so fast she fell in and got tangled in the anchor line. We had to cut the rope. If you float only lakes, the trolly system is great.

BTW, anchoring in current is dangerous and only do it in places you wouldn't mind wading in or where the current is very slow.

Good luck with your modifications!

Quote Originally Posted by Boyscout View Post
    If you are going to be fishing in rivers, you want your anchor line to be coming out of the boat dead center of the keel line. If it is off to one side, the boat will angle in the current and increase drag and it will start swaying back and forth. Last year I watched a lady drop an anchor over the side of her yak with the rope tied to the side of the boat. When the anchor grabbed, it flipped so fast she fell in and got tangled in the anchor line. We had to cut the rope. If you float only lakes, the trolly system is great.

BTW, anchoring in current is dangerous and only do it in places you wouldn't mind wading in or where the current is very slow.

Good luck with your modifications!
    Excellent points. I fish saltwater flats so current is not a great issue. You have to be very careful anchoring in a current. This brings up another piece of equipment that I always have - a flip open knife with a clip that I always keep clipped to my life jacket.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

I know the dangers of anchoring in current, I'm planning to fish in many of the oxbow lakes we have here in W KY along the Mississippi and Ohio Rivers also the small bays in Ky and Barkley lakes. There shouldn't be to many current issues on these waters, just ignorant power boaters to deal with.

Took the yak out for a trial run Sunday afternoon and had a blast, even snuck up within four feet of a raft of about 200 ducks before they blasted away.

Thanks for the help guys

Oh yeah, you are going to have the time of your life this summer in that boat!

+ Reply to Thread