+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Storage

Hybrid View

Default Fly Storage

I'm curious how everyone stores their tied flies.

Currently I have those plastic Plano boxes that have the adjustable slots in them - I can get 24 compartments per box. I put my flies in there and then dig out what I want to fill my fly boxes. However these things do take up a fairly good amount of space and when I go on a trip there's a lot of room taken up by these things. So, I got thinking maybe I should just buy more fly boxes and put all my patterns directly in the fly boxes as they're much smaller and I could just grab the boxes that contained the patterns I wanted when I went to the stream. but then I'm thinking the Plano boxes have a bunch more room in them and the flies won't get as crushed.

As usual I'm overanalyzing all this and making it more complicated than it needs to be but I'm a flyfisherman - that's what we do right?

I searched this forum before asking this question figuring there'd be a bunch of info available but I didn't really find anything - maybe my search words weren't the right ones.

So, what are some of your opinions?
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

You can get a Plano fishing bag with four of the boxes in them. The bag is about 19" by 12". Doesn't take up much space at all and you can put a lot more "stuff" in the bag. By my calculations that's 96 idfferent flies and about two dozen per compartment (depending on size of fly). I throw mine in the truck every time I go. I 'make up' a fly box at the river. If I need something else it's right there in the truck.

I use the big Plano 3700 Stowaway adjustable boxes. I have two dozen packed with flies ranging from size 22 to 8/0. I do not take these on trips. Prior to a trip fill the fly boxes I intend to use on the water with the patterns I need. I will fill 1-3 Stowaway 3618 or 3455 boxes with re-loads. These stay in the truck or hotel room. Larger bass and saltwater flies go into those worm binders with zip lock bags that the bass guys use.

Here's what I've got going on these days:

After having lost a couple boxes full of flies, I've taken to adding my address label to the inside of the lids of each box. If I lose these, it at least gives the finder a chance to return them to me.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I keep mine in fly boxes and try to keep them stocked as I loose flies. I have a tote in the shed that has all my saltwater flies and one plastic plano type containter for junk flies. I find it's easier to grab the fly box I need versus having to sift through containers to pick out the ones I want and then end up putting them into a fly box anyway.

TT.

Plano boxes for overflow (after the boxes I fish out of are full) I have about 20 fly boxes in different sizes and configurations, and somewhere around 10 large plano boxes for overflow.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread