+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nat Geo channel airing Restrepo; one platoon one valley one year tonight

nighthawk Guest

Default Nat Geo channel airing Restrepo; one platoon one valley one year tonight

Restrpo is airing again at Midnight Eastern Standard time, 11pm central, 10 pm mountain, 9pm pacific time.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...w#tab-Overview

The National Geographic Channel is airing this special unedited that was filmed by embedded film makers with a front line platoon in an Afghanistan valley.

It is tough to watch. It is worth watching if you can do it. some of our vets may not want to watch this. the uninitiated who want to see what the life of a combat soldier is like should watch this show. It is about as close as it gets to being there without actually being there.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 03-03-2011 at 02:31 AM.

NewTyer 1 Guest

Been there, Done that and rerun the TV show in my head every night. Needless to say, I don't sleep much at night but, I would be interested in seeing how well done it was. I may watch it if I can stay up. I have an early meeting with my Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor tomorrow so I should try to get some sleep. I guess I'll have to take a little extra medication

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NewTyer 1 View Post
    Been there, Done that and rerun the TV show in my head every night. Needless to say, I don't sleep much at night but, I would be interested in seeing how well done it was. I may watch it if I can stay up. I have an early meeting with my Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor tomorrow so I should try to get some sleep. I guess I'll have to take a little extra medication
    From an older Vet thank you for your service!

Any time you want to come up here to Pa and fly fish a bit just let me know. There is always room in my canoe for you!

They left the show unedited.

During my 15 years I now have enough re runs at night. Do not think I want to see any more.
    Am I curious as to how well filmed it is? Yes. Will I watch it? Nope. My dreams and night mares are way too real.
    I am still trying to learn to live with it.
    Thanks to all of my fellow troops who have served! and to all the real Heroes, those who did not get to come home.

MSGT Conrad, Airborne Ranger Special Forces
    Denny

nighthawk Guest

Told from the soldier's point of view, Denny. Down in the dirt and the mud. Don't blame you for not watching it either. I watched it once and that is enough for me. It would be a good thing for those who haven't been there to watch if they can hack it. Might help them understand a little bit more about why we come home different and are the way we are. Hard as it is to watch I think the uneducated should see it. I will say it is a nice tribute to those guys letting them tell it and showing it their way.

Go to see someone cares about showing the grunt's life there.

I won't see it as I don't have cable t.v. but I heard the guys who filmed it on NPR last week. Both had to be evacuated for injuries at different times during the filming. Unlike most embedded reporters they didn't sit at headquarters and parrot press releases.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

nighthawk Guest

Starts out wth them riding along in a HUM-VEE with the troops. It gets blown up with an IED. Cameras rolling the whole time.

Just in case anybody who wanted to see it, it is also available to stream on netflix if you are a member. I watched the first half when it was on Nat Geo, but my daughter interupted. I caught the last half on the PC. It is a very moving picture.

nighthawk,
    Booked marked,perhaps another time.Visual brings back other senses.Pain is enough memory.Ray

+ Reply to Thread