+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Way not FF'ing!

Blog Entries

My first posting in the Coast Guard was on a tiny Island a thirty minute boat ride off the most remote tip of Vancouver Island. I awoke in the middle of our first night on the island to the smell of fresh coffee. So I went down stairs and asked my wife whats up Hon? She said I can't sleep " That damm train whistle is keeping me awake." Sure enough I heard a deep whooo haaaa coming from just West of our small island. Knowing that the nearest train to us would be about 300 miles distant across a 10,000 foot mountain range. I realized that she was listening to the Gasp and Whistle bouy marking the reef just off our west coast. A gasp and whistle bouy is a very large bouy which is anchored near a marine hazzard to warn ships of its presence. The bouy has a large cavity in its center and when a wave passes it the air is forced rapidly out the top giving a loud Haaaaa sound . As the wave passes and the bouy is in the trough the air is sucked rapidly back into the cavity giving out a very loud Whoooo sound. Sort of like a distant train whistle. My mom and I both knew this and we began to laugh uncontrolably , the madder my wife got the harder we laughed. It was a quite while before I could stop laughing and explain to her what it was that Mom and I found so funny , it was also quite a bit longer before she would even speak to me again. 4 1/2 years later waiting on the dock to go to our new posting I could hear the bouy and asked Her , Hey hon do you hear the bouy? She listened and said Yes I do. We both agreed that after 4 1/2 years of constantly hearing it that we really no longer noticed it. Our first night inland She woke me up with the smell of fresh coffee. I went downstairs and said , Whats up Hon? She simply said I miss the bouy. Both of us laughed. Amazing what brings back old memories.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

nighthawk Guest

The ghost train whistle from #90 on the Strasburg Railroad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr8Hi...eature=related

The railroad is located in Lancaster County, Pa. It is one of our favorite things to do here, ride the steam train!

+ Reply to Thread