+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bull Trout

Fly up for monday AKAlooker, me and sunskyandhooks or whatever his name is here, are going chaseing those big mothers.

But i got a place you can stay LOL, just bring some of those streams you use on your bass.

ahh nick u cant even spelll my name dude...heres a few more pics too keep yall druling...and no they dont take tiny runs. just loooooooong powerfull runs kinda like a big semi truck...one thing abotu bulltrout fishing is a good day out is usually one or two fish in the 24-35inch range in a full day between one or two people so it all equals out in the end, but there are days were only one or no fish are seen, enjoy...

[This message has been edited by J Castwell (edited 10 April 2006).]

cant wait to get my first bully oh yea.

im going on a 4 day fishing trip at the end of this month, mainly going for bull trout. about 2 years ago i caught one on a worm, and 4 pound tess, it was 29 inches, and looked like the middle pick that sunsky showed us. anyways, i have tyed up some double bunnies, and some muddlers, but im going to tie some clousers to. my bunnies are about 4-5 inches long, will the still work???

P.S. im useing a 4 wieght rod to, boy is that going to be a challenge

Hey, thanks for all info everyone! And thanks for the great pics sunsky...I can't wait to give it a shot.

Anyone ever tried fishing for bulls at night? I think I may try a big mouse pattern over some deep holes in the dark and see what happens.

sunskyhooksnwater,

The sweet photo's of all those Behemoth Bull Trout just makes me want to quit my day job, and then come up and go fishing with you, right now!

YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know all this working for a living is interfering with my recreation time. Note to self: Self, quit working and go fishing!
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

ive never tried for them at night but im sure they will take a mouse no problem even in the day. i read an article once nad it said that back in the old day catching bulls went like this

step one-tye mickey(live mouse)too a big hook

step two- find mickey a raft

step three-float mickey too the deepest and darkest part of teh pool

step hour-pully mickey off the raft and hold on...i think u get the picture

fishyguts
    your flies in the 4-5 inch range will still work....your 4wt will get put too the test thats forsure, ive had a a friend have a rod shattered into little bits by one of these hogs. not saying it cant be done...

[This message has been edited by sunskyhooksnwater (edited 06 April 2006).]

I had a shop teacher that tied cotten swabs and beef blood flies. He said they worked great.

Is it just me or does it seem like fishing a 4 wt for bulls is not so smart...for at least 2 reasons:

1. It's going to take a while to fight the fish before you release it (isn't the whole point of C&R that the fish actually LIVE after release?)

2. Rod go SNAP! Unless, of course, you have lots of money to spare or your 4 wt is cheap and you don't mind stuffing its remnants in the trash.

I know there's some mortality associated w/ C&R, but come on, using the appropriate gear gives that released fish a much improved chance of post-release survival.

Marty
    MFTG

well, my 4wt rod was cheap, but i love it, i have caught 25+ inch trout out of my friends pond, and really had no problem, i just like the feel of the rod, plus i dont have another heavier rod at this point in time.

+ Reply to Thread