Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas Drilling/ New York Times

Default Gas Drilling/ New York Times

For those of you that poo poo the Marcellus Shale Gas wells in PA and surrounding states make sure you read today's issue online of the New York Times. In the not too distant future our fish may be glowing in the dark. Many companies are dumping wastewater into the streams. Maybe TU is adopting the correct stance?
    I know, and I agree, there is both good and bad, but I'm having a hard time not worrying about greed and the environment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/us...ef=todayspaper

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    I know, and I agree, there is both good and bad, but I'm having a hard time not worrying about greed and the environment.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/02/us...ef=todayspaper
    You might reduce your worrying somewhat by choosing a more objective source for information.

Hi Bamboozle! I also have a buddy who is not in the business, but through his profession sometimes has access to the inner workings of the drilling companies.
    I have no way of knowing if the NY Times is being objective.
    It really does worry me, not for myself, but young people like my nieces and nephews.
    Bruce

nighthawk Guest

My family was one of the first in Northwestern Pa to have these wells drilled on their land. That was in the 1990's. The concentration on protecting the environment has been such that the branch of Wolf Creek that flows through their property is now able to support trout even though they be stocked fish. Prior to the drilling that stream had been so polluted by mine run off, agriculture run off that it was not fit to even stock because it just was too far gone. All this done without any help from TU even though they were invited to join in.

Industry isn't always bad. Indeed they are much better stewards of the environment now than years ago due to several factors not the least of which is the fact that their leaders are part of that first generation that was raised during the beginning of the conservation awareness era. These are people like baby boomers and early generation "x" that grew up loving the outdoor sports before the electronic tech explosion of the 1980's to present.

The New York Times is very strongly biased. They do not know what is going on here in Pennsylvania and judging by what I see floating down the Susquehanna river from New York they need to clean up their own act, in their own state before trying to tell us what to do. I said this before in another post and now will say it again that if the states here, including New York, didn't put ton after ton of salt on the roads during the winters to keep them clear for even an inch of snow it would probably help our water ways a lot. All of that salt, calcium chloride and what not runs off into the watershed.

Also a large portion of the natural gas that comes from these wells will go to New York City to feed it's energy needs. My advice to the times is to clean up your own act first then talk to us here in Penns Woods but don't think you are going to dictate to us what we do in our own state. find ways to make your own city more energy efficient. The Times will never admit it but they and theirs are a large part of the problem. Consume less, waste less, find a place to bury your own trash rather than in our landfills here in Pa. and Oh. Mind your own business first or perhaps we will just turn off the supply valves. Return all of your trash too. How much nuclear/biological/chemical pollution are you being allowed to put in that trash New York? My bet is quite a bit. There is an old saw about people who live in glass houses throwing rocks at other people.

So called Experts are a dime a dozen these days. You can find an "Expert" to support any opinion or agenda so long as you give them enough publicity and or money. I would rather talk to the people who have had this going on for a decade or two who have witnessed it's effects first hand.
    Last edited by nighthawk; 03-02-2011 at 07:53 PM.

Thanks for a great post, Nighthawk. When my friend was looking into whether or not he wanted to lease his gas rights a few years ago at his cabin up in Susquehanna County he did a lot of research, followed up by a lot of driving around checking out the actual well sites and talking to people. I'm sure there are problems to be dealt with, but he found none first hand or by research.

As to the NY Times...they have plain lied so many times on so many topics that I wouldn't line the birdcage with it for fear of offending the bird.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

I have probably seen more of Texas than lot of Texan, I have been from Texarkana to El Paso from Amarillo to Houston. I have seen numerous oil well sitting in front, back and side of personal residence. Most of the folks are pretty normal looking, except for some of the young ladies. They can be down right stunning. I know oil gets spilled and accidents happen but with the EPA and the number of lawyers out there looking for a carcass to attack it is in the oil company's and drillers' best interest to be careful and not spill a drop of anything.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Fracking will do to PA in the early to mid 21st century exactly what the coal/coke/steel industry did to PA in the early to mid 20th century: boost the economy...provide jobs...and completely rape the environment. Say what you like about regulations and responsibility, but it's already happening, and if you don't think it is, you're simply deceiving yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Featherbender View Post
    Fracking will do to PA in the early to mid 21st century exactly what the coal/coke/steel industry did to PA in the early to mid 20th century: boost the economy...provide jobs...and completely rape the environment. Say what you like about regulations and responsibility, but it's already happening, and if you don't think it is, you're simply deceiving yourselves.
    Well said, Featherbender. People aren't hearing about all of the spills that have polluted streams and drinking water. There was a tanker full of waste water that just wrecked yesterday and deposited all of its poison in a very nice watershed. I'm all for people making money, but for me the environment comes first.
    Bruce

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Well said, Featherbender. People aren't hearing about all of the spills that have polluted streams and drinking water. There was a tanker full of waste water that just wrecked yesterday and deposited all of its poison in a very nice watershed. I'm all for people making money, but for me the environment comes first.
    Bruce
    Name them. Show me the news articles on them. Better yet show me the DCNR, DEP, Fish and Boat Commission and Game Commission reports on them.

NOTHING IS WITHOUT RISK! However going to extremes either way is not good either. Look if you two really are so concerned about the environment what are you doing using electricity generated by man? Doesn't living in a modern home, driving an automobile, using a computer, using a modern fly rod with modern gear and etc...kind of make you guys hypocrites? I mean where do you think the raw materials and chemicals that you use every day come from?

If you two really are concerned that much, to the point of telling me in your round about way that my family and their fellow land owners that have actual real experience with this
    are deceiving themselves then I have a suggestion for you. Live in a cave. Just like the Neanderthals did. Otherwise you are just pointing fingers. If you follow your own creed then you won't post on the Internet anymore because you will have shut off all of your utilities, sold your car, sold any firearms that you have, got rid of all your man made clothing, now have to grow or hunt everything you eat, make your own bows, spears, arrows out of natural materials, give up all modern medicine, moved into a cave here in Perry County, had to fight a sow bear with cubs for that cave, lost the fight and are now bear food.

See what I mean about extremes? Hey if you want to hug a tree and live in the deluded dreamland of yesteryear that we can all get back to nature then more power to you. Some of us will even join you but a lot more of us, like me for one, ain't going to drink that Kool-Aid of yours.

Closed Thread