I am flattered that you wrote about me. I'm the guy with 1 years experience repeated 35 times. Well thats probably not true. I've got one years experice repeated twenty times and a second year repeated 15 so I guess I'm improving (though slowly).

My son once told me in a very exasperated tone that "I know how to do it... I just can't". Isn't that how much of fishing really is. I've seen it, I practiced it and got it once or twice and about every tenth time it works.

I do believe that line control is really one of the most important things to be able to do well for successful fishing. Here is another take on it. You cast a dry fly out and your line was over powered and it kicks back leaving "S" curls. Well, I wanted to cast and have some slack for a better drift. You do the same cast and the line is straight. Well there I wanted to have no slack so I could respond to a strink. Same to casts with a nymph. First one I've put in some slack so the fly can sink. Second one, well I'm trying to keep the line tight so I can feel the fish. My point is really that while we should decide where and how we want the fly to act, there are so many theories and methods that often we do something and then say ahhh it was that technique.

Well maybe I am still on year one, 35 times.

jed