It was common for those who fished a lot and or worked in the fish cannerys cleaning fish ( I did both ) to get cut by the salmons teeth. You can easily get an infection from this. Its usually on your thumbs which by the end of the season are sliced and diced pretty badly. We used to heat water in the washbasin to as hot as you could stand then add a lot of salt and soak for at least 5 minutes which usuall cleared it up. If it didn't, it was a trip to the doctor. By the 1970's the union demanded that all workers use rubber gloves that solved that problem. But on the stream or out in the boat I like to clean salmon right away because It prevents them spoiling too quickly. Salmon teeth are not that big but they sure do slice your thumbs up.

Also I and those I fished/worked with would sometimes get a rash on your hands or arms we used to use noxima extra care salve for that and it would go away in a week. The Ladies on the fish gutting line said it was from the slime. The slimier the fish the worse the rash.

In the coast guard during the 1960's we once had to get a higher level of clearance because the new Loran station was now operational. This required that we all get a new set of fingerprints taken. I have no idea why they couldn't just use the old ones. I was put on admin leave for a month while my sliced up thumbs healed so my new set of prints were Quote "more accurate". How dumb is that?