+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Very Special Rod....

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default A Very Special Rod....

For years, I have always told folks that I am the oldest in my family. My dark little secret is that I have an older half brother. We were not close. Our father was not prime husband material as he loved the ladies and was quite successful with them. When I came along, I was, to my brother, the kid that took Dad away. There was no real animosity between us. We were just not close. He is 6 years my senior. There is a lot more to this story, but we will skip most of it.

Back when I was in Jr. High, Tom enlisted in the Army and went to Vietnam as an interpreter and Lord knows what else. He never knew what a hero he was to me. He still doesn't but I am hoping this rod will help tell him.

My wife went to school with Tom from Jr High on. We were married for several years before the connection was made. Anyway, she called Tom to ask for a copy of his DD214 "for the genealogy". When we got it, I went to work on this rod.

It is a 9', 4pc, 5w built on a Sevier blank in matte black. The reel seat hardware is TiCH Batson BUL5 with a teak burl insert. This is where the symbolism starts. Teak is a very common wood in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos. It was chosen for this reason. The butt cap was replaced with an Army Seal hatpin. There had to be some Army Green on the rod, so the grip was turned with extra grade cork and green burl. The Black Pearl Snake Brand guides are wrapped down with black nylon tipped in gold nylon. There are metallic gold liar's marks at 12 and 16 inches.

I had a ton of help from two people. Our own Ron Eagle Elk helped me a lot with the ribbons which you will see later. Nuno Paulino of Fishing the 7even Seas in Portugal was gracious enough to share technique with me on several aspects of this rod. Nuno builds the most magnificent surf and boat rods you will ever lay eyes on. A true master craftsman.

The hat pin was epoxied to the existing butt cap and the resulting gap was covered with rod finish to which a bit of black pigment was added. It came out rather well. Nuno and I swapped many emails coming up with this solution.

The grip and reel seat....

The obligatory shot of the stripper guide...

The rod inscription. I made this decal using Nuno's techniques that he was so kind to share with me. I think it adds a lot to the rod. It has Tom's Name, his Jump Wings and the rod specs on the bottom side. If you look closely behind the name and Jump Wings, you will see an outline map of Vietnam in the background. This decal is only 3" long. Nuno does these 10"+ with flawless finish.

Now for the part that REE helped me with. We traded several PMs over the correct versions and proper order of Tom's decorations. Ron did some background on the decorations for me and guided me towards a site that had them all so I could get the proper colors and designs. The colors may be a shade off here and there but they are as close as I could get with available threads.

In order of precedence... Bronze Star, RVN Gallantry Cross, RVN Civil Actions Honor Medal 2C, Vietnam Service Medal, and Vietnam Campaign Medal

Thank you for listening to my long winded story and looking at my humble tribute to my brother.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Simply awesome!

The words, "beautiful", "incredible", "wonderful tribute", just don't seem adequate. "Love" seems much better. Thank you, Kevin.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Outstanding rod Kevin, almost too special to use. The best part of the rod wasn't bought with money and doesn't show to the eye but will be felt.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

I do not want anyone to think this is advertising in any way. It is not. I got some ideas from Vietnam and Korea Vets down at the VFW and they want to see the rod before I send it off to Tom. If anyone in the Denver area wants to see the rod in person, it will be at VFW 9644, 2680 W. Hamden Dr., Englewood, CO, 80110 tomorrow evening. It's Burgers & Bingo Night so come on down. Ask for Kevin and they will point me out to you.

Well, maybe a bit of advertising for Burgers and Bingo night.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

awesome work!!!!!!!!!
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

+ Reply to Thread