+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Soldier of WWI, Dies!

Default Last Soldier of WWI, Dies!

92 years, after the end of WWI (The Great War to End All Wars), Frank Buckles of Charlestown WV died at the age of 110. Mr. Buckle enlisted August 14th 1917, at the age of 16, lying about his age. During WWII, Mr. Buckles was a Civilian Prisoner-Of-War, when he was in the Philippines on a business trip, and survived 3 years in a Japanese POW Camp.

More than 4.7 million people joined the U.S. military from 1917-18

Burial Services for Frank Buckles will be at Arlington National Cemetery, by members of the 3rd Infantry Regiment Honor Guard (Old Guard)....

The last known Canadian Soldier, John Babcock of Spokane WA, who also served in WWI died in February 2010.

There are no French or German Veteran of WWI, still living.....

Honor to all who served, Defending their Country, and Democracy .... "Parnelli"

SFC Steven H. McGarthwaite
    U.S. Army, Retired, 1968-1995

Special Note:

In 1998 the U.S. Military awarded all U.S. Military Personnel who served between 1948 to 1990, "The Cold War Medal"!
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 02-28-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Speel Chex
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

God Bless him and his family, and a great big thank you from me.

TT.

Amazing to think about, all those people, generations come and gone.

It makes me wonder what if any mark I have left in the world.

May he rest in peace and we never forget.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

I have read interviews.What an honorable man.

God Bless Mr. Buckles and his family.

All I can say is Mr. Buckles fought in one Hellish War, think about the technology back during World War I & II compared to today, no comparison!!

Thank you to all the Men & Women in our Military for fighting for our Freedom.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

nighthawk Guest

Corporal Buckles was the last United States Veteran of W.W.I. God bless you and thank you Corporal Buckles. Here is a nice article on him:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews

thank you President Bush for doing the right thing for this wonderful American Soldier.

We have lost a generation who deserved all of the respect and honor they could be given. They were the first to face chemical weapons, full automatic firearms, aerial bombardment and the first generation of armor. According to the internet there are two survivors in the UK.

Choules, Claude Stanley United Kingdom 3 March 1901 109
    Australia Royal Navy Last living combatant of World War I.[1] Last seaman. Last veteran who served in both World Wars. Joined in 1916. Last witness to the German Naval surrender. Moved to Australia in 1926 and served with Royal Australian Navy in World War II. Lives in Perth, Western Australia.

Green, Florence Beatrice (n?e Patterson) United Kingdom 19 February 1901 110
    England Royal Air Force Women's Royal Air Force Last female veteran and last veteran residing in the UK. Joined in 1918 and served as a waitress for the Women's Royal Air Force. Lives in King's Lynn, Norfolk.[
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

As a young kid, my first WWI hero was Captain Eddie Rickenbacker followed by then Colonel G. S. Patton; Corporal Buckles has joined their illustrious company!

RIP soldier...

Am I correct in thinking a bill was passed to allow Mr. Buckles to lie in state at the capitol?
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Blog Entries

Heaven has another guardian Angel..

I am proud to say that I was in Germany when the wall fell.. serving and ready to fight if things did not go as well as they did..

Sadly it seems the world is again becoming unsteady and the future for our young not so sure...

I hope that all the strong men and women in heaven can hold sway and clear a path to peace and prosperity for all man kind..
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread