+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Food Gripe

Hybrid View

Default Food Gripe

I had been laid up for a week or so and had been eating my own cooking perforce. My cooking is pretty darned good but I wanted a change so I drove a mile up the road to the local restaurant/watering hole. For an appetizer I ordered these pretty good fried cheese-filled raviolis. Marinara sauce accompanied the dish. I was a little surprised when the marinara sauce showed up in these little sealed plastic tubs; they were kind enough to give me two of them. One taste was gag-worthy - sickeningly and cloyingly sweet. Reading the fine print, i.e., the ingredients list, showed, from most to least, water, tomato paste, High Fructose Corn Syrup, a half a dozen mystery chemicals (preservatives, thickeners, artificial flavorings), vinegar, and, you guessed it, a half a dozen mystery chemicals more. How dare they call that little heap of semi-coagulated goo marinara sauce. I'm not even sure it was ever cooked. It's not just an insult to Italy, but it's an assault on the health and tastes of our society. Think of our children growing up expecting that since it's what they've known all their lives. Stern shakes of the finger must go to the manufacturers, restaurants, and the food industry for pushing this stuff. And a big shake of the fist at us for tolerating it.

Whew!

BSwan,

It is sad what is passed off as food nowadays. As the confession an old Junk Food Junkie, I am now at a loss of 40 lbs, simply by cooking my own. What's funny is that even as the world's worst cook I am still eating better than what the fast food industry provides!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

As my dad said many ,many times: Just shut up and eat it!
    Last edited by rainbowchaser; 03-01-2011 at 12:56 AM.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

nighthawk Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BSwan View Post
    I had been laid up for a week or so and had been eating my own cooking perforce. My cooking is pretty darned good but I wanted a change so I drove a mile up the road to the local restaurant/watering hole. For an appetizer I ordered these pretty good fried cheese-filled raviolis. Marinara sauce accompanied the dish. I was a little surprised when the marinara sauce showed up in these little sealed plastic tubs; they were kind enough to give me two of them. One taste was gag-worthy - sickeningly and cloyingly sweet. Reading the fine print, i.e., the ingredients list, showed, from most to least, water, tomato paste, High Fructose Corn Syrup, a half a dozen mystery chemicals (preservatives, thickeners, artificial flavorings), vinegar, and, you guessed it, a half a dozen mystery chemicals more. How dare they call that little heap of semi-coagulated goo marinara sauce. I'm not even sure it was ever cooked. It's not just an insult to Italy, but it's an assault on the health and tastes of our society. Think of our children growing up expecting that since it's what they've known all their lives. Stern shakes of the finger must go to the manufacturers, restaurants, and the food industry for pushing this stuff. And a big shake of the fist at us for tolerating it.

Whew!
    I agree totally with you.

Here's a quote:

"Several years ago, researchers at Cornell University and Michigan State University conducted a study of restaurants in three local markets over a 10-year period. They concluded the following: After the first year 27% of restaurant startups failed; after three years, 50% of those restaurants were no longer in business; and after five years 60% had gone south. At the end of 10 years, 70% of the restaurants that had opened for business a decade before had failed."

There are a lot of reasons why restaurants fail, but serving bad food has to be one of the major ones. You won't be back. You'll tell your friends and they'll tell their friends. Poof, there is a this "space for rent" sign in the front window!

A few years ago, I started taking on a much bigger role in the purchasing and preparation of our dinners. I also started reading ingredient labels on prepared foods. It was an eye opening experience. We eat out much less than we did before and we cook much more from scratch.

Probably bad food and service are the main reasons restaurants fail, location may be another. There are eating places in my home town of Kansas City that have almost no service, are in a bad location with the floor so slick with grease you almost have to hang on the something yet they've thrived for over 70 years because the food is legendary.

Bob,
    I can't even imagine a "restaurant" serving "marinara" sauce in pre-packed, sealed containers. I COULD imagine same in a fast food Taco Bell type location but certainly NOT is a local watering hole. AND, then again, we ain't talkin Evanston

Mark

I am probably more conscious about what is in my dogs food, than my own sometimes. Maybe because they can't read the labels, although at times I swear they can read, but prefer to be waited on hand and foot (PAW?) CAN I GET FRIES WITH THAT!!

Best regards, Dave who cooks everything in a toaster.

+ Reply to Thread