+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Seven, eight and nine piece rods. (voyager or pack rods)

Hybrid View

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Default Seven, eight and nine piece rods. (voyager or pack rods)

Anyone using or have used any of these? I recently picked up a J Austen Forbes Expedition Rod, an eight piece, nine foot, five weight and it's a beauty of a rod with what seems pretty fair action. Anyone pros, cons etc?
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

My primary rod is a Stowaway 7. Only con is that it takes a bit longer to assemble.

With more sections there is more to go wrong. If you regularly check the ferrules to make sure they are seated correctly you shouldn't have any issues. I haven't tried any of the currently available 9pc rods but the 7 and 8pc rods I have handled all seemed to work pretty well. None seem to perform as well as my favorite 4pc rods but they are good enough. You can't beat them for ease of storage and transportation.

I have 3 8.5ft 5wt rods. Stiffest is the StCroix UL, next is the Lamiglass 700 mid-flex. They are both 2pc. I also have a 7pc Flextec which is the softest and bouncyest. The StC casts comforatably to about 60' and the others only slightly less, like 55'. Two weeks ago I used the Flextec at a friendly competition at our casting club where 6wt rods are the norm. I won with 98/100, so I have no doubt it is fine for fishing - I have only used it twice for that. The only con that occurs to me is that the 7pc rod is softer and so would not be so good in the wind at distance. A friend of mine has a 6pc Orvis that doesn't have this issue, so maybe it is the brand/model. Never-the-less, Flextec is fine for putting in the suitcase or backpack for those trips where there will be SOME fishing, but most of the time will be something else - sightseeing or just paddling, paddling.

I also have a 5wt Flextec that I bought to go in my Tourpack on my motorcycle . I find it is great rod, love it for Bass from the pontoon boat. My StCroix wouldn't fit in bike by about 5 mm

I have a Cabelas Stowaway and an Orvis Frequent Flier. Both are nice rods. I got them for my son and I to hike in the mountain with in CO. Works out great.
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

I have a stowaway, no issues at all. Good rod.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

+ Reply to Thread