+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to find new tying tool

when someone makes a tool for a size 22 BWO extended body i may be impressed. until then there won't be any foam on my tails. i am still using the pin method from Stalcups book,Mayflies
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

A heavy needle can be gotten for a song. If you need a bent thingy, you can make one from a heavier duty paperclip like Norman suggested. I'm looking at a lamp shade right now as I type this, and can see some brass wires that support the shade that might work in a pinch. LOL!! Clip a piece of wire off your neighbors fence! Man, I'll bet I could come up with lots of ideas, if I put my pointy head to the task. Heck, I'll bet your neighbors snow-blower has something on it you could adapt? The aerial off the postmans jeep? Hmmmm? Gonna go before I get in trouble.

Best regards, Dave S.

neccesity, the mother of invention
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

Bass_Bug Guest

I'm all for homemade tools, so if see a 3" piece of wire for $6 that they say I need, I will certainly look for a way to make it myself first for under a dollar. If I can that's $5 I can spend on material I CAN'T make myself. For those of you that scoff at the 3pack Renzeti product for $18, I certainly none of you are tying on one of the 4 or 5 hundred vises you insist is 5 time better than a $100 vise. Just sayin'

That's an interesting tool.
    But I think there is a better way to tie extended bodies.
    Go to the women's sewing store. Wear sunglasses and look over your shoulder
    a lot--and make sure no one notices you when you rummage through the panty hose (makes great wing cases).

Then go to the needle rack. Get a few packages of #10 and #13 ultra-thin beading needles.
    Put a needle horizontally in the vise. Tie the extended body on the needle. Whip finish.
    Slide it off the needle. Now you have a modular fly-body part that can be mounted
    on a short-shank hook. Those bow-tie deals a far more clumsy and awkward,
    because you end up swapping hands for each thread and/or material wrap.
    Last edited by pittendrigh; 02-26-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Bass_Bug Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Normand View Post
    Question: Does posting a link to a commercial site that's not a sponsor constitute commercial advertising? Careful Norm, you're treading on dangerous ground here.

The link was in answer to a specific question. I don't have a problem with that.

Normand Guest

bb

i'm usually on your side, but stirring the pot isnt gonna help your cause

Bass_Bug Guest

Just wanted to see where the line is drawn. For what it's worth on the other thread, the link that was removed in my second post, I was just replying to a question of where his flies could be seen. Nuf said.

Back on 'topic', it seems that many missed what I see as the true 'inovation' in these tools...the ability to 'curve' the body with thread tension after you mount them to the hook.

I've already figured out a way to do it with a needle, but the concept itself is a solid one.

As for an extended body on a #22 mayfly? Easy, just get some varigated thread (I use some old Gudbrod 'Classis Twist' I still have left over), and use that to 'furl' an extended body.....but if you use a #22 hook, and add an extended body, it ain't a #22 anymore...so why not use a larger hook tied conventionally and hook the fish better?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread