+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK tying video's

Bass_Bug Guest

Default UK tying video's

Has anyone watched any of the David Cammis videos on http://learnflytying.co.uk/ ?
    I've watched all the short videos clips from his website and Cammis is truly refreshing. An Englishman that is truly old school. I can picture Cammis in tweeds and a cane rod in the English countryside. Truly charming.

Watch any of his short videos and pay attention to how he finishes a fly. Not just a hand finish that you would expect, but something totally different than anything just about everyone on this site has ever seen. The first video you'll say, "ok that was different", but after the second you'll just say "Why?"

U.S. tyers will immediately notice the differences between UK tying terms and US tying terms. On this side of 'the pond' we use head cement on our flies. On their side of 'the pond' they "varnish" the fly heads (with head cement). They call it 'silk'(even if it's nylon) where we use 'thread' etc.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 02-24-2011 at 01:48 AM.

Blog Entries

I have watched them and always love watching just how they get there. Many seem simpler than their U.S. counterparts.

The way he finishes up is accually perty cool ,as well as his soothing voice...Thanks BB

I discovered his series about a year ago. They are very good.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

David Cammis' videos are the reason I started tying in the first place. I'm a brand new fly fisher and tyer and loved his simple delivery and the quality of his work. I watched the beginner series and thought, "Gee, I can do that." I'm now having a great time tying. I can't wait to use a few of my own flies out on the stream.

Dave

Thanks for posting this BB. I look forward to watching.
    I checked out his double half-hitch in his techniques section. It's cool and all but the hand whip still looks easier and faster.

Normand Guest

davie mcphail videos are as good if not better. give him a try!

http://www.youtube.com/user/DavieMcPhail

Bass_Bug Guest

Yep recommending McPhail was going to my next post Norm. I have many of his clips downloaded and have just started watching them. His thick Scottish accent (compared to us bland speaking Mid-Westerners) is almost difficult to understand at times. By the way, I have only found McPahail's You tube site and his Flickr site. One would think with the beautiful full dresses Atlantic Salmon flies he ties he would have a real website.

As for the double half hitch technique, think about the amount of thread per spool he wastes by doing it that way. Just doesn't makes sense to me. Cannis mentions on his website he was tying commercially and was instructed by his buyer to ONLY use a single half hitch to finish each fly and no head cement, because that's how many the Asian flies were made. THAT could explain why they come apart so easy?
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 02-24-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Bass Bug,

Just as an aside, maybe the 'customer' (assuming that the 'customer' was reselling the flies) requested the insecure finish so that the flies would come apart easier and his retail customers would have to buy more?

Pessimistic, certainly, but could happen?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Well, if I ever actually buy a fly, I may have to give it a drop of head cement before putting in the fly box.

I stumbled on Mr. Cammis' series a few months ago while wandering around in YouTube. Personally, if find his videos to be the best and easiest to follow that I've ever seen, plus that voice helps keep the blood pressure down when things are going poorly with the tie.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

+ Reply to Thread