Greetings! I've been interested in taking up fly fishing for a few months now, but I'm pretty clueless where to start. I moved to Arizona last summer, and I found out that there are some beautiful fishing spots near me. I picked up my fishing rod after taking many years off from fishing, and I've been hooked again (can't resist a good pun). I've been fishing from the shore for bass in the area lakes for a few months.

I'm actually taking a class that asks us to explore how people learn and participate in online communities, and as part of that, we were told to find something that we new very little about and learn it. How could I pass up the opportunity to learn fly fishing? Since then, I've been lurking on the bulletin boards and reading through the main page articles trying to learn as much as possible about fly fishing and FAOL BB. However, I've realized that my unguided exploration isn't very productive.

So I'm coming out of hiding to ask for advice. You may notice me popping up on some discussion threads asking questions or commenting. Perhaps my biggest question right now, though, is this: what equipment do I need to buy? I plan on fishing the Lower Salt River area near Phoenix for stocked trout (although I've also heard rumors you can fly fish for bass???). I walked into the local Cabela's Fly Shop this weekend and realized that despite the reading I've been doing, I am still pretty confused.

I'm thinking that I should pick up a 5 weight rod, an inexpensive click & pawl reel (until I can commit to spending more $), and look for a good quality DT line. But aside from that, I have no idea what I might need to get out on the water for my first experience. Any advice or even a 'grocery list' of items would be very helpful!