+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to the sport, seeking advice

1. Default

When buying fly gear for the first time be 'frugal' not cheap. Use what you have & think about what you like & dislike in that gear. Apply that to your next purchase. As far as the rest just go out & try. You won't get any experience on line. Ya gotta get out on the water!

I have a traditional II and it does cast pretty well. I would recommend going with a WF line instead of a DT if you are thinking about trying for bass, the heavier head will help you turn over bass flies easier.
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

Cold Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rockthief View Post
    drop everything until you buy and read The Curtis Creek Manifesto, still the best book for a newcomer to the sport despite it being twenty years old. I read mine a couple times a year. It is inexpensive and iwll serve you forever.
    I agree its a good book for a beginner, but definitely don't drop everything. Personal experience is a far better teacher than any book.

Smile

Blue,
    I live up by Payson. If you want to get together some time PM me. There are lots of places to fly fish in Arizona. The Salt is the closest to you if you live in Mesa. You can go down to Game and Fish on University East of Bush Highway/Power Road and get some information there. Also, there are numerous "Urban Lakes and Ponds" you can fly fish easily. However, you need an Urban License, if you've not gotten you Az fishing license look into the combination of the two for $53 then you can fish any waters in Arizona with the exception of on the Reservations. Bass Pro, Sportsmen's Warehouse have some good people working there. Ask for Rocky at Sportsmen's he's a good guy and extremely knowledgeable.
    Rockthief: I've heard of the book in the past so I now have one on order from Amazon.
    Cold: I agree with you also. Get out on the water and wet the line.
    Also, you can go to Bass Pro and get some lessons on the casting part. You need someone with experience to give you some pointers for sure. Most new casters hit the water in front of them and the ground behind them.... WRONG!!!! Remember 10 and 2 as on the clock for false casts then about 9 on the cast.
    I will be down in the Mesa area this weekend if you want to get together. Like I say, PM me and I will get back with you. We can hit Red Mountain Park or something.

When I was in the police academy my class was subject of a dissertation for an undergrad getting his PhD in Psychology at The University of Pittsburg. He came out of hiding too though not well hid and when he did no one acted normal around him.

I should have started by saying welcome to the site and glad you found us. You have in my short time on this site come to us with the most unusual primary or secondary intentions of learning fly-fishing. I hope that you get your just deserts and that when you are done with your paper that you have a healthy addiction to our sport and I guess hope you do well on your paper too.

To get started, even before you buy a rod, reel and line, you have to watch A River Runs Through It at least 5 times. Then walk back into Cabela’s and spend (only if you are given a grant) $400.00 on a nice 5 or 6 weight combo with loaded reel and send it to me (I will PM you my address) and I in turn will send you an outfit that you can use to get by on; along with an assortment of Woolly Buggers in a size 8 in black, olive and white (woolly bugger is a fly that you can fish just like a lure).

If it's a fish you can catch it on a fly, unless of course it's my fly and the fish your trying to catch is a steelhead.

Again welcome to the site; I hope you are part of this great group of people long after your paper is complete.

Respectfully,
    Sean
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

NewTyer 1 Guest

Get yourself a good starter kit from LL Bean, sponsers on this sight or the like. Don't put up a lot of money up front. Get yourself a good basic setup and give it a try. If you like it, you can move up from there but, if you don't, not much lost.

Find out from the local shop as to what flys are being fished and for what type of fish. I have always had good luck top fishing for Large Mouth and Smallies, pickeral, Crappie, Bluegills and the like. Above everything else, go out and have fun. Nothing like a good hookup on a fly rod.

+ Reply to Thread