+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the sport, seeking advice

Hybrid View

Default New to the sport, seeking advice

Greetings! I've been interested in taking up fly fishing for a few months now, but I'm pretty clueless where to start. I moved to Arizona last summer, and I found out that there are some beautiful fishing spots near me. I picked up my fishing rod after taking many years off from fishing, and I've been hooked again (can't resist a good pun). I've been fishing from the shore for bass in the area lakes for a few months.

I'm actually taking a class that asks us to explore how people learn and participate in online communities, and as part of that, we were told to find something that we new very little about and learn it. How could I pass up the opportunity to learn fly fishing? Since then, I've been lurking on the bulletin boards and reading through the main page articles trying to learn as much as possible about fly fishing and FAOL BB. However, I've realized that my unguided exploration isn't very productive.

So I'm coming out of hiding to ask for advice. You may notice me popping up on some discussion threads asking questions or commenting. Perhaps my biggest question right now, though, is this: what equipment do I need to buy? I plan on fishing the Lower Salt River area near Phoenix for stocked trout (although I've also heard rumors you can fly fish for bass???). I walked into the local Cabela's Fly Shop this weekend and realized that despite the reading I've been doing, I am still pretty confused.

I'm thinking that I should pick up a 5 weight rod, an inexpensive click & pawl reel (until I can commit to spending more $), and look for a good quality DT line. But aside from that, I have no idea what I might need to get out on the water for my first experience. Any advice or even a 'grocery list' of items would be very helpful!

Hi blue, have you found this yet? It's a basic primer on fly fishing: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/beginnermenu.php
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Hi Rainbowchaser,

I am slowly making my way through all those articles. I guess I'm just getting a bit impatient. I suppose I should work on that in anticipation of my time on the water, huh? Thanks!

Brent (AKA Blue)

You don't need to be impatient - go buy something and fish! Prime time now on the Salt. The Cabelas Traditional II rod should come with a kit including reel and line without bankrupting you, and should be useful for you for some time. Rods don't make nearly as much difference to your fun level as you might think from reading all this hoo-ha. Get a couple of 5x leaders, some 5 x tippet to tie on the end of the leader, and a few prince nymphs, pheasant tails and hare's ears, a tin of weights, and go catch 'em.

Your getting some good advice here. I've cast the Cabela's Tradition II and it is a sweet casting rod. Most folks these days are going with a weight forward line as opposed to a double taper. It's all personal preference though. Get out on the water and get after them, have some fun, don't get discouraged, and pretty soon you'll be like the rest of us addicted to fly fishing folk.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

If you want to get started inexpensively one of the Scientific Anglers starter kits might be a good choice. I haven't cast any of the new ones since they went to a four piece rod but the old ones were good rods for the money and came with a reel, line and leader. Another inespensive rod that I know I like is the Fenwick Eagle gt that usually goes about $70 on E-bay. It is a heavy rod compared to the newer models out there but we are talking a difference of ounces not pounds.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Hello Blue and welcome to FAOL. Pull up a log by the fire and make some coffee. Yep, a 5 wt and a click and pawl with wt forward or DT is a good start. Trout, bass, bluegill and on and on. If you're anything like a bunch of us on this board it will just be a beginning. There's no middle or end to what you will accumulate. There are a lot of knowledgable and helpful folks on this site and a few in AZ. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Quote Originally Posted by TheBoyNamedBlue View Post
    I plan on fishing the Lower Salt River area near Phoenix for stocked trout (although I've also heard rumors you can fly fish for bass???)
    There was a guy about in your position on the BB a good bid last year who was catching fish, bass, crappie and buegill from the Salt River I seem to remember. I have never fish in or around Phoenix but remember there being a number of lakes in parks stocked with warm water species. You may want to make run over to the Bass Pro Shop in Mesa. They have a prett good fly shop, there are also a number of independent fly shop around the area also. You can learn a lot from talking to the folks in the shops. Most of them are fishermen too. The Bass Pro Dogwood Canyon reel is a good reel for around $30 and you don't have to listen the click pawl, which I do not care for personnally.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

drop everything until you buy and read The Curtis Creek Manifesto, still the best book for a newcomer to the sport despite it being twenty years old. I read mine a couple times a year. It is inexpensive and iwll serve you forever.

10. Default

When buying fly gear for the first time be 'frugal' not cheap. Use what you have & think about what you like & dislike in that gear. Apply that to your next purchase. As far as the rest just go out & try. You won't get any experience on line. Ya gotta get out on the water!

+ Reply to Thread