+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sign of things to come in fly shop catalogs

There is a disturbing trend I'm seeing with the paper catalogs these days.

'More products available online' at the bottom of most, if not every, page.

This is a problem, and I don't think the catalog issuers realize how much money that will eventiually cost them.

I fondly recall the days when you got a catalog and it had EVERTHING a company sold in it. That way, when perusing the catalog, regardless of where you were, you turned each page and could look at ALL your options. See stuff you weren't really 'looking for'. Maybe find something that would work for your needs that you had not thought of or considered until you 'found' it flipping pages in a catalog. That just doesn't happen on a website. Too many categories and 'searches'. If you don't know about it, you aren't going to 'stumble' onto it unless you get really lucky or are very persistent.

Another thing I really dislike, especially in fly fishing catalogs, is the lack of pictures for many products. I think it's lazy and disrespectful of your customers. It assumes that the customers 'know' what things are simply by the name they've attached to a product. Lack of decent descriptions just compounds this. They want you to buy from them, but don't expect you to 'shop'.

I want to be ble to sit on my throne, flip the pages of a comprehensive catalog, and discover that a hook intended for catching bait for marlin fishing will be perfect for my new streamernymphbuglarva thingy I plan to tie. Or find a cover intended for a pontoon boat barbecue that will fit perfectly over my home made battery carrier, etc....

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

First of all I am never borrowing a catalog from any of you guys.

I love a hard copy. I spend too much time in front of my computer. There is something about sitting in my easy chair, fire snapping and popping, drifting off to sleep only to wake and see that I have lost my place and have to start all over again.

The chair some of you guys are talking about...... I don't want to know about the noises, legs falling asleep, none of that. If I get a stain on my catalog I want it to be a ring from a mug of a hot beverage.

Kidding aside Bryon I love your catalog. I can see why a company would want to go digital but I really do prefer the hard coppy.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

laptop shamtop. Why do you think the iPhone was developed? Steve Jobs wanted to be more efficient and use ALL of his available time on the throne. The iPad is nothing more than his attempt to stave off age-related vison problems.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

"Reading room" humor aside, I would still much rather have a real paper catalogue (or book or magazine or newspaper) in my hands. Maybe I'm part of a dying breed, but I like moving from my chair to the couch (and to the throne!) without having to carry a laptop.

A "catalog" that doesn't list all the products isn't really a true catalog; it is just another advertising circular.

Of course, since I'm in printing, I much prefer the paper catalogs. There are a lot of places I use mine, but the day will not come that will find me on the crapper with my laptop. Or on the beach. Or streamside. It just isn't for me.
    A right emblem it may be, of the uncertain things of this world; that when men have sold them selves for them, they vanish into smoke. ~ William Bradford
    I finally realized that Life is a metaphor for Fly Fishing.

I can't believe you guys are wasting valuable time looking at catalogs.

Fly tyer multi-tasking.jpg
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I can't believe you guys are wasting valuable time looking at catalogs.

Attachment 7516
    Now thats what I am talking about.....Multitasking, I knew I wasn't the only crazy one.

toilet-home-entertainment.jpg
    Last edited by popperfly; 02-23-2011 at 10:09 PM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Those are both really cleaver ideas, I like your signature Popper where did you get that???
    Born to fish, Forced to Work!

Please deliver me to the weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by luckie88 View Post
    Those are both really cleaver ideas, I like your signature Popper where did you get that???
    I really don't know, I have been saying that for a long time. I am just realizing how true it is when it comes to fly fishing
    Last edited by popperfly; 02-24-2011 at 08:03 PM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Quote Originally Posted by popperfly View Post
    Now thats what I am talking about.....Multitasking, I knew I wasn't the only crazy one.
    Who you calling crazy?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

+ Reply to Thread