+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Central Iowa Fly Fishing Reports

Default 2011 Central Iowa Fly Fishing Reports

First open-water trip of the year today!
    I found a pond during my lunch-hour that was nearly 30% ice-free. It was supposed to be near 40 today, but I don't think its gonna make it. It still hadn't cracked 27 by the time I headed back to work.
    I caught some cold fingers, and a good number of iced-up line guides, but no fish.

I used an indicator with a small microjig beneath that. The line is new, and the cold air left it coiling rather nicely. Between that, the iced-up line guides, the unweildy nature of the fly/indicator, and my own casting faults (and early season "rustiness")....I'm glad nobody was shooting video of this trip!

It sure was nice getting out and FISHING!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Wednesday, February 23, 2011
    Public Pond
    Time Fished: 12:25pm-12:45pm
    Ice cover: 60%
    Water Clarity: Water clarity was somewhat improved since yesterday... I could see down at least 12".
    Water temp: 32-33 degrees at the surface
    Species Sought: One Ding-a-Ling
    Fish caught: zero

Nicer weather. Didn't use an indicator on the line, which made casting easier, although the wind didn't do me any favors. No ice in the line guides...Air temp around 37 while fishing. Didn't catch any fish, but did dredge up some green algae-goo gunk.
    Didn't see a soul yesterday, but there were a handful of people hanging around the pond today. None were fishing.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Exclamation

Not even One Ding-a-Ling ??

Better luck next time.

John
    The fish are always right.

Not even ONE! Can you believe it?? Unless you count the one holding the fly rod...

I have a theory as to why I'm not catching fish yet. The surface temps are still 32-33 degrees. The deeper water away from shore is 39-40 degrees. So, until the water in the shallows near shore warms up beyond what the deeper water is, there is no reason for the fish to come within casting distance. In looking at the 10-day forecast (like hitting a moving target)...it doesn't appear the surface waters will be warming much anytime soon.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

DO NOT READ THIS POST! SKIP IT!

Date: 3-3-2011
    Ponds were 99% Ice Covered
    Time Fished: Didn't even get the rod out of the car
    Species Sought: anything with fins that was ALIVE
    Species Caught: I ALMOST got some mushy fish parts on my shoes, but think I managed to avoid stepping on them. We'll find out for sure at tonight's Central Iowa Anglers meeting.

So...more ice on the ponds than I expected. Lots of dead fish....didn't expect that either, since there were pictures of living fish from there just a couple weeks ago.
    I had eaten most of my lunch in the car on the way over, and briefly I was tempted to cough it back up from the piscivorous bouquet on the breeze.
    If you've just eaten, you may NOT want to see the pics below. This is the ONLY warning you will get.
    Also, you might want to avoid the area for awhile as the temps continue to rise.
    Amongst the deceased along the boat ramp area, I spotted 2 bluegills, 4 white bass...the rest appeared to be almost all shad, with the occasional drum, carp, and buffalo for variety.

I know what you're thinking...and "You're Welcome"!

Now, moving on. Here's some pics of the river by the rocky island just out /downstream from "The Cut":

And...there were a few eagles flying around. This one was sitting in a tree across the river. Handheld camera, low zoom capability...YOU GET WHAT YOU GET as far as the picture goes.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

What the heck are all the dead fish from??
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

Winterkill. We are at the northerly part of the range for Gizzard Shad. During a cold winter, they often die off in huge numbers. In a smaller body of water like these river backwaters, their decomposing carcasses will rob the water of dissolved oxygen, and even the hardier fish will die. Happens almost every year. And then high waters in Spring and Summer will re-connect these ponds to the main river, and fish will repopulate the backwaters again. Circle of life and all that... ;o)
    Last edited by FishnDave; 03-03-2011 at 09:14 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Thanks Dave for educating me, I just learned something today,

I beat you dont have to worry about any raccoons, opossum, Skunks around the house, they are all down at the lake getting fat on Suhsi
    Last edited by popperfly; 03-03-2011 at 09:28 PM.
    Popperfly>-<(((((*>
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work !

ok ok.... The TRUTH is I went down to the pond to take my yearly bath. The fish weren't dead when I got there.
    LOL
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Any catfish in the area should be very, very fat.

+ Reply to Thread